All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree13846Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19th March 2021, 03:54 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Bought the first series of Pennyworth the other day and i'm currently four episodes into it.

Really liking it. Love the fact that it's set in a slightly skewiff alternate reality sixties Britain. I'd not heard of Jack Bannon who plays the fresh from the SAS Alfred Pennyworth before but like sister show Gotham's lead Ben McKenzie he quickly grew on me even if he is at times trying to do his best Michael Caine impression.

The fact that so far it's anything but a superhero show is extremely refreshing with the young Pennyworth trying to make his way in life as a security consultant and meeting the lovely Esme, whilst the shadowy Raven Society is always in the background.

My favourite thing about the show is Paloma Faith. ****ing hell, how good is she as the deranged Bet Sykes? A barnstorming performance with her fruity language and interaction with sis Polly Walker.

Of all the superhero shows i've watched this is by far the most 'adult'. Especially in the language (Plenty of 'f*cks' and 'C**ts' each episode) and gore departments - the end of episode two saw several hangings with the recipients gutted in front of a baying crowd.

The cinematography is also excellent.

The finale of episode four was a bit of a shock / surprise ending which was great.
Saw this way last year highly enjoyed it, 2nd season premiered in December was supposed to watch but it didn’t get round to it and completely forgot .
Old 19th March 2021, 04:05 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gag View Post
Saw this way last year highly enjoyed it, 2nd season premiered in December was supposed to watch but it didn’t get round to it and completely forgot .
I might be wrong but i think it started again earlier this month with the fifth episode of series 2.
Old 19th March 2021, 04:44 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
I might be wrong but i think it started again earlier this month with the fifth episode of series 2.

This will explain the answer to both our comments.

The second season of Pennyworth premiered in the US on Sunday 13th December on Epix, but went on hiatus halfway through as the production caught up on a delay caused by COVID-19. It returns for American audiences on 7th March
Old 21st March 2021, 02:42 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Started watching this from the beginning.

Demoncrat and nosferatu42 like this.
Old 21st March 2021, 02:48 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Pennyworth has taken a bit of a Wyrd England turn. There were allusions to folk horror in the fourth episode with a chase through a quaint English village, discussions about Maypoles and attacks by devious Morris Men but nothing prepared me for Aleister Crowley turning up as a recurring character, occult rituals and the Devil himself. in the episode 'Cilla Black'.

That's before we even think about Felicity Kendal's role as an imprisoned witch,
Old 21st March 2021, 02:50 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Pennyworth has taken a bit of a Wyrd England turn. There were allusions to folk horror in the fourth episode with a chase through a quaint English village, discussions about Maypoles and attacks by devious Morris Men but nothing prepared me for Aleister Crowley turning up as a recurring character, occult rituals and the Devil himself. in the episode 'Cilla Black'.

That's before we even think about Felicity Kendal's role as an imprisoned witch,
Great show.
Old 23rd March 2021, 09:30 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

As well as continuing CHiPs started watching this.

Da plane! Da plane!
Old 26th March 2021, 06:06 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Watched season one of fantasy island, highly enjoyable a slice of tv from another time. The episodes involve two tales which take place at same time and not one after another , usual their is a lesson for the guests to learn from there fantasy and one story is more serious while the other is more light hearted . Great chemistry between Montalban and Villechaize where a lot of the humour comes from. As the show goes on you are left wondering just who is the mysterious Mr Rouke as he has powers that control space and time and could well be omnipotent. Quite a few familiar faces which includes

Bill Bixby
Cameron Mitchell
Joseph Cotton
Adrienne Barbeau
John Saxon
Ed Begley jr
David Hedison
Juliet Mills
Christopher George
Gene Barry
Gary Burghoff
Leslie Nielsen
Ronny Cox

Old 31st March 2021, 10:33 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Watching Wellington Paranormal S3.

Still very silly, our hapless heroes do battle with another variety of mythological and monstrous critters of all shapes and sizes. It all looks quite kosher, so they've put the budget to good use once again.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 1st April 2021, 01:24 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I haven't posted on here as frequently as I should, so this is the post in which clear my backlog thing last month!

Ash vs. Evil Dead – I watched all three seasons of this, a show I have seen once before and think I enjoyed more on second viewing than the first. The blend of horror and comedy works very well, the characters are well-developed, and it kept me interested and engaged throughout. If you have Netflix, it's on there and is well worth watching (or re-watching).

Trump Takes on the World – Another miniseries about the turbulent presidency of Donald J. Trump. Like the previous one I watched and recommended (The Trump Show), this has a wide range of contributors to give as broad an insight into Trump's run at the presidency all the way through to the 2020 election and Biden's inauguration. I found it very informative and it should be of interest to anyone with a passing interest in US politics.

Taskmaster: Series 7 – Although it isn't my favourite season so far, it's one with great rapport between the five contestants (James Acaster, Jessica Knappett, Kerry Godliman, Phil Wang, and Rhod Gilbert) and presenters (Greg Davies and Alex Horne). I was only previously aware of three of the contestants (Acaster, Wang, and Gilbert) but still found it funny and easy watching, something which is very binge-worthy and I'll start watching the eighth series this month.

Curb Your Enthusiasm: The Complete Ninth Season – Great TV, superbly written, brilliantly acted, and cleverly directed. It's a show where the premise hasn't dated and I've since bought the tenth season to watch and enjoy a second time.

Behind Her Eyes – I haven't read the book on which this is based but I don't think that matters. The six episodes cover the story and character arcs in enough depth and, when it finished, I didn't feel shortchanged. I actually watched the first series of Unforgotten and then watched this again. It's something that warrants a second viewing, an experience which is unlike the first.

Unforgotten: Seasons 1-3 – My parents recommended I watch this and I'm grateful for their good taste! Each series deals with a historical murder and, unusually for a police procedural TV show, introduces all the characters, from police to suspects in the first episode. This means you are aware of people who will be questioned for murder when the victim's identity and cause of death haven't yet been determined. Nicola Walker and Sanjeev Bhaskar are a great double act as DCI Cassie Stuart and DS Sunny Khan, respectively, and the supporting cast in each series, from Trevor Eve, Bernard Hill, Ruth Sheen, and Tom Courtenay in the first series to Mark Bonnar (a Scottish BAFTA award-winning performance) in the second series and Alex Jennings, James Fleet, Neil Morrissey, and Kevin McNally in the third series, are uniformly excellent.

Snowpiercer – Before watching the second season, I re-watched the first and then went straight onto the second season. I think it held my attention as well as the first time I watched it, though I did enjoy the greater exploration of the train, the dynamics between Snowpiercer and Big Alice, a supply train which introduced at the end of the first series. I wouldn't be surprised if a third season is commissioned because there is scope to explore the world and bring the story to a definitive and fitting conclusion.

Like this? Share it using the links below!