Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179676Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 3rd September 2013, 07:48 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Elysium-Movie.jpg

The Earth is over populated and all natural resources are at a dangerous low. All the rich of Earth have left to live on Elysium an off world facility where there is no sickness or poverty. Still using the people of earth to make weapons and androids to protect Elysium. Max ( Matt Damon ) after exposure to radiation must find a way to get to Elysium for a cure.

Right from the get go you can tell this was directed by the same guy that directed District 9 it has the same feel and look. The special effects are top notch. At first look at Matt Damons character you expect him to be super human but he is vulnerable through out with adds something different to usual underdog becomes a super soldier over night and saves the world.

A very very enjoyable watch Sharlto Copley as Kruger plays a great villain. Look forward to picking up the Blu Ray.
Old 3rd September 2013, 08:16 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
About to start another 1.49 "bargain " in the form of inseminoid which I've never seen.
I've not seen Inseminoid in a good few years but I remember enjoying it. Was the best film on ABUK's Norman Warren coffin boxset.
JoshuaKaitlyn and troggi like this.
Old 3rd September 2013, 08:22 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
I've not seen Inseminoid in a good few years but I remember enjoying it. Was the best film on ABUK's Norman Warren coffin boxset.
Yep, ultra cheap but it has a certain something, with all those influences - Alien, Rosemary's Baby, Suspiria and helped by the fact that it was shot in actual caves and in CinemaScope no less...
troggi likes this.
Old 3rd September 2013, 09:17 PM
Cult Addict

I also quite liked Satan's Slave out of that same boxset. Strangely I found the other two films, Prey and the other I can't recall the name of, to be complete rubbish.
troggi likes this.
Old 3rd September 2013, 09:19 PM
Cult Addict

WONDERLAND. I thought this was going to be a dicktastic genital warts and all tale of Johnny Wad's final years shacked up in a car with his under-aged girlfriend. Instead it is a multi-view look at the murders he was linked with-it's a good film but not the cesspit I was looking for at the time.
troggi likes this.
Old 3rd September 2013, 09:34 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly View Post
WONDERLAND. I thought this was going to be a dicktastic genital warts and all tale of Johnny Wad's final years shacked up in a car with his under-aged girlfriend. Instead it is a multi-view look at the murders he was linked with-it's a good film but not the cesspit I was looking for at the time.
Is that the Val Kilmer film?

I like that, when i first saw it the whole story of John Holmes was new to me, found it fascinating.
Old 3rd September 2013, 10:00 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Is that the Val Kilmer film?

I like that, when i first saw it the whole story of John Holmes was new to me, found it fascinating.
That's the one, his real life was much more sordid as you can imagine.
troggi likes this.
Old 3rd September 2013, 10:03 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly View Post
That's the one, his real life was much more sordid as you can imagine.
Are you referring to Holmes or Kilmer?
Old 3rd September 2013, 10:49 PM
Cult Addict

Two Flags West. A 1950 Western starring Joseph Cotton, something I recorded on Film4 a few weeks back. Was a decent film with an unusual American civil war setting. I would recommend this if you get chance.
troggi likes this.
Old 4th September 2013, 10:09 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

XTRO - Had forgotten just how weird this one gets. Feels like lots of fragments of other films which were popular at the time, but somehow manages to become its own enticingly strange whole without sacrificing a basic level of incoherence... in other words, I loved it. It feels quite sleazy too, without really being all that explicit. Most of 'Xtro's power comes from its images, several of which are still with me days after viewing, although bizarrely, despite the plethora of toys come to life and mutant eggs, the shot that I keep returning to in my head is a juxtaposition involving a stiletto'd foot and an old skool beer tankard. That made an impact.

GALAXY OF TERROR - Another good 'Alien' rip-off which doesn't quite reach the heights of 'Xtro' or the sometimes hated (but I adore it) 'Inseminoid', although it's in pretty much the same orbit in the sense that it isn't simply a degraded copy of the original - it adds something strange to the mix. 'Strange' in this instance could either be sex assault by oversized space maggot, pseudo mystical rite-de-passage courtesy of 'The Master' and the eighties visual effect he has to put up with in place of a head, or creepy Grace Zabriskie and her eerily piranha-like face. It sometimes takes me a while to get into because there's quite a lot of walking around in tunnels etc, but alongside this is plenty of space gore and bad taste moments, some nice windswept atmosphere and that "we ARE taking this seriously, folks" vibe of the best ludicrous sci-fi exploitation. Plus, Zalman King's weird stare.

NIGHT OF THE SEAGULLS - Great title, almost as good as 'The Grapes of Death'. It's an entry (the last one, I think) in Amando De Ossorio's Blind Dead series and possibly my favourite, although I do tend to prefer his other horror fantasies such as 'The Loreley's Grasp' and even 'Demon Witch Child'. It has intriguingly Lovecraftian undertones, with a sea deity statue presiding over a cult of isolated villagers, a great psychedelic / demonic soundtrack, some nice windswept atmosphere (again) and a really murky, oppressive locale in the form of a goth village which looks positively Bruegelian. It's always good to see those Templars riding in slow motion. It does feel a bit ponderous in places and there were points when I found my attention wandering a bit, but instances of slight leadenness are made up for by the claustrophobic atmosphere and shots of crabs creeping towards dead bodies.

Like this? Share it using the links below!