Like Tree179661Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17th July 2017, 09:21 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
Just finished watching Day of the Dead for the very same reason
Be watching that and Dawn in respect of the man, would of watched them tonight but enjoying Grosse Point Blank and was watching Highlander (TV) earlier.
Old 18th July 2017, 03:45 AM
Seasoned Cultist

I will have a Romero marathon soon, but I want to make sure I finish my Planet of the Apes marathon first. I'm not sure whether to revisit the TV series or not as well before I get on to Romero.

In-depth analysis on horror, exploitation, and other shocking cinema @ Cinematic Shocks
Old 18th July 2017, 08:19 AM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
Attachment 192659

In memory of George.
Martin is absolutely gagging for a remaster, that DVD is frustrating, the 16:9 version looks much better but is clearly cropped from how it's supposed to look, the 4:3 version is a pretty crappy transfer.

I watched a bit (about 15 minutes) of the Italian version too, wow that soundtrack is so misjudged, as much as I love Goblin why is there a full on action movie soundtrack to a really low-key and gritty film

Many people believe that Richard Rubinstein is holding Martin ransom until someone pays the huge license he wants for Dawn of the Dead, well I hope someone can come to an agreement with him in light of recent events.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 18th July 2017, 11:27 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Land of the Dead (2005)

For George.

My personal favourite. Thank you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg land_of_the_dead.jpg (89.1 KB, 4 views)
Old 18th July 2017, 11:57 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Land of the Dead (2005)

For George.

My personal favourite. Thank you.
I went cinema to see this twice, and I've seen it countless times since. I don't think it's quite on par with Romero's original Dead Trilogy, but I consider it the last good film he made.

In-depth analysis on horror, exploitation, and other shocking cinema @ Cinematic Shocks
Old 18th July 2017, 12:01 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinematic Shocks View Post
I went cinema to see this twice, and I've seen it countless times since. I don't think it's quite on par with Romero's original Dead Trilogy, but I consider it the last good film he made.
I know the two are very different, but I really like what he did and said with Diary of the Dead, film I haven't seen in a long time and probably should watch in tribute.
Old 18th July 2017, 12:04 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
I know the two are very different, but I really like what he did and said with Diary of the Dead, film I haven't seen in a long time and probably should watch in tribute.
I hated Diary when i first saw it, but it's grown on me a lot in the years since.

I loved Survival of the Dead when i first saw it, but that one has become worse with each subsequent viewing.
Old 18th July 2017, 12:22 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I hated Diary when i first saw it, but it's grown on me a lot in the years since.

I loved Survival of the Dead when i first saw it, but that one has become worse with each subsequent viewing.
I thought Survival was rubbish when the DVD was first released, and I haven't seen it since! Maybe it is something I should reappraise.

Edit: I have just looked at my review, and I didn't hate it, just thought it was mediocre and would probably have enjoyed it more if it was not directed by George A. Romero.
Old 18th July 2017, 01:01 PM
Seasoned Cultist

I suppose I'm still on the fence about Diary, and I will give it a revaluation soon. I've been meaning to for a long time before Romero's passing. Survival is just embarrassing though.
keirarts and bleakshaun like this.

Old 18th July 2017, 02:32 PM
Cult Addict

Bad day at black rock

A mysterious one armed man (spencer tracy) arrives at the sleepy town of Bad Rock. Almost immediately he's greeted with hostility by the locals, especially Reno smith (Robert Ryan) & his thugs Hector david (lee Marvin) & Coley Trimble (ernest Borgnine). The tension escalates when its reveaaled he's looking for a man named Komoko. It becomes apparent to the one armed man the locals are hiding a dark secret and that he may not be allowed to leave Black rock alive.
A mixture of film noir & western, Bad day at black rock is a masterclass of supense and generating tension. Its economic running time ( a little over 80 minutes) means things never get dull and Tracy's attempts to get assistance from the weak willed sherriff plays a little like high noon. I'm sure a lot of people here have seen it already but if you haven't then I'd happily reccomend it.

The Big Heat

Investigate the apparent suicide of a police officer, Detective Dave Bannion (Glenn ford) digs a little too deep and uncovers a web of corruption that seems to have infected the whole city. At the webs centre is local kingpin kingpin Mike Lagana and his brutal henchman Vince Stone (Lee Marvin again).
Bannion is warned off and when he ignores it his wife is killed with a car bomb. Tipping over the edge the hard boiled cop is driven by hate to take Lagana down at any cost.
Big heat is about as hard boiled as they come. Directed by Fritz Lang, its a tough, lean and mean thriller with some surpising brutality for a film of its age. So much so its still a 15 cert today, a lot of it stems from Marvin's character stone who has no compunctions about beating or even disfiguring women who anger him. Marvins performance is so spot on here that he threatens to steal every scene he's in. The infamous hot coffee scene is still as shocking as when it was made. Glenn Ford is a little stiff but plays it mostly well. The burning anger and frustation is evident in his eyes and watching him go almost completely over the edge is thrilling stuff.

Like this? Share it using the links below!