Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179636Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20th February 2018, 08:56 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The type of corny b movie horror I love, I young man goes to investigate the death of his grandparents and there family, ignoring the warnings of the usual creepy old man the young man and his friends end up fighting for survival and there souls against the undead and demon's who are determined to bring release the devil. Ripping off better films and ideas such as evil dead, omen etc. While not as good as those it's a lot of fun with some great kills and gore. Also another nice transfer this time from vinegar syndrome. This film is crying out for someone like 88 to bring it to blu ray in the UK as it's right up there street , considering arrow have turned there back on films like this. 7/10
Old 20th February 2018, 09:41 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
There was a movie I commented on but couldn't rate it The Standford Prison Experiment, I saw the documentary about it first then saw the film and the effect it had on the participants especially P.T.S.D something I too suffer from, but the acting was well done and it can be a good film to others.
If it's the Ezra Miller film (trailer below), it's an excellent adaptation of Philip Zimbardo's book about the experiment and superior to Das Experiment (2001) or the American 2010 remake. If you haven't read the book, I highly recommend it, and if you're interested, you should read Stanley Milgram's Obedience to Authority.

Old 20th February 2018, 09:46 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
If it's the Ezra Miller film (trailer below), it's an excellent adaptation of Philip Zimbardo's book about the experiment and superior to Das Experiment (2001) or the American 2010 remake. If you haven't read the book, I highly recommend it, and if you're interested, you should read Stanley Milgram's Obedience to Authority.

Yeah that's the same movie, I saw Das Experiment never saw the Adrian Brody version, I will see if I can get the book for my kindle. Thanks very much for the recommendation.
Old 20th February 2018, 09:55 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
Yeah that's the same movie, I saw Das Experiment never saw the Adrian Brody version, I will see if I can get the book for my kindle. Thanks very much for the recommendation.
I wouldn't bother with the American version as it is inferior to Das Experiment, which itself isn't as well made or compelling as the Ezra Miller film.
Old 20th February 2018, 09:56 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post

To me 5 or 6 out of ten is worth a watch.

As for 9/10? Possibly about 3% of my huge collection i would score 9/10.

I would score them -Cold Prey II - 4/10 and Thale also 4/10. Thale was a huge disappointment. It should have been full of kinky sex.
That's the way i am with scoring.

Although I tend not to buy a lot of modern dreck like you though Dem, so i think i have a higher 9/10 ratio though than you. Probably 10%.

Haven't seen Cold Prey but Thale was a let down, still probably would get a 6 from me though as it had interesting moments.
keirarts likes this.

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.
Old 20th February 2018, 10:07 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosferatu42 View Post
That's the way i am with scoring.

Although I tend not to buy a lot of modern dreck like you though Dem, so i think i have a higher 9/10 ratio though than you. Probably 10%.

Haven't seen Cold Prey but Thale was a let down, still probably would get a 6 from me though as it had interesting moments.
In fairness the modern dreck is always cheap. Taking advantage of Music Magpie £1 offers, Poundland Halloween horrors and so on.
Old 20th February 2018, 10:14 PM
Cult Addict

I watch most of my modern toss on the Horror channel.

That's enough for me, i rarely buy new stuff unless it is well regarded by people on here.
And most of the newer stuff tends to be found in charity shops or CEX a few months down the line.

I'd rather buy something i remember liking or a cult item i've been wanting to see for years in a decent edition.

Old 20th February 2018, 10:18 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
I watch most of my modern toss on the Horror channel.

That's enough for me, i rarely buy new stuff unless it is well regarded by people on here.
And most of the newer stuff tends to be found in charity shops or CEX a few months down the line.

I'd rather buy something i remember liking or a cult item i've been wanting to see for years in a decent edition.
There's a fair amount of cult stuff that's utter rubbish as well but people seem too ashamed to admit to it after spending £15 on an Arrow, Vinegar Syndrome or 88 blu-ray.

Other cult rubbish releasing companies are available.
Old 20th February 2018, 10:28 PM
Cult Addict

That's very true, but if it's something i've been after and less well known, it's always nice to have a copy.

Also there is that pleasure in ticking things off your watch list, and seeing how things live up to the stills seen in old Horror film books.
I seem to get a higher hit rate of films i enjoy with bizarre shite.

I tend to rewatch cheesy stuff a lot more and find a lot of enjoyment in ham acting, terrible dubbing, bad dialogue or retro fashions/music.

I will watch modern stuff, but about 80% of new stuff doesn't hit my sweet spot.
If i see something i really enjoy on T.V i'll end up picking it up at some point.
keirarts likes this.

Old 20th February 2018, 10:34 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
That's very true, but if it's something i've been after and less well known, it's always nice to have a copy.

Also there is that pleasure in ticking things off your watch list, and seeing how things live up to the stills seen in old Horror film books.
I seem to get a higher hit rate of films i enjoy with bizarre shite.

I tend to rewatch cheesy stuff a lot more and find a lot of enjoyment in ham acting, terrible dubbing, bad dialogue or retro fashions/music.

I will watch modern stuff, but about 80% of new stuff doesn't hit my sweet spot.
If i see something i really enjoy on T.V i'll end up picking it up at some point.
I agree with you.

Although older stuff may be glorified junk at least they seemed to try. Half of todays stuff especially that filmed shaky cam style just seems to be an exercise in making a quick buck with no film making skill whatsoever.

I watched one the other week - Hooked Up. It was filmed entirely on mobile phones and was as crap as you can imagine. No skill whatsoever.

Like this? Share it using the links below!