All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179653Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29th April 2018, 09:27 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
Does make you think no parent etc would give a child a doll that looked like that, if I saw it my first instinct would be too burn it with fire!

How true. We had these genuinely creepy child size dolls (with blank faces ) donated a while back. Straight out of a Freudian nightmare. I personally thought they were cute ... but the assistant manager would not stay in the same room as them .
Ahem.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 29th April 2018, 09:30 PM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly View Post
The Bride

Surprisingly excellent no budget, hidden gem from the early 70s that has the most simple of plots...husband cheats on wife on their wedding day...wife gets revenge.

Filmed in a naturalist style that benefits the limited acting ability, this whips along at a fair pace whilst nothing actually happens for long periods, though the film never drags.

It contains some great dream sequences and a good twist ending. It would make a great triple bill with Axe and The Witch Who Came from the Sea.
I reviewed this one as part of my trawl through Nightmare USA under the title The House that Cried Murder and thought it was worth a look.
Old 29th April 2018, 09:45 PM
Cult Addict
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
I reviewed this one as part of my trawl through Nightmare USA under the title The House that Cried Murder and thought it was worth a look.
It also goes under the name...Last House on Massacre Street...
Old 29th April 2018, 09:56 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Oooh that means tis on Amazon Prime then. Sorted.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 29th April 2018, 09:59 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Unhinged 2017

Four girls on their way to a wedding are attacked by a local, low on petrol stop off at house in the country. The owner offers them shelter and help all they have to do is abide by her rules, lights out at 8pm and don't go into the woods.

This is like a tribute to some horror cliches where we watch a film and start yelling "no no no don't go that way" and every movie there was always a busty blonde. That never really helped this movie. First 10 mins was like a good set up then downhill to the last 10 mins. There is maybe 1 cringe moment that's like nails on a chalk board. The acting was mediocre but not great. Learn from my mistake... Don't go out and pay a lot for this movie. 3-4 out of 10.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TO-0441_po-reg-medium_orig.jpg (23.0 KB, 5 views)
Old 30th April 2018, 12:57 AM
Cult Addict

Party Animal (1984)

hqdefault (9).jpg

Pondo Sinatra arrives at an American University on the back of a turnip truck and basically tries any way he can to get laid.

This is not very P.C in these supposedly more enlightened days but i absolutely love this film ever since i saw it on VHS back in the day at a mates along with Weird Science.

To teenage adolescents like us at the time it was something pivotal, like "Weird science" this is a film centred around a nerd trying to get laid.

But i've always felt this to be more real than most of these films, the "Hero" of this film tries just about everything to get laid and nothing works.

So basically the story of all our misspent youths, unless you were among the lucky ones.

As i said this is un P.C now but i'm pretty sure all teenage boys are pretty hot for it and trying to get laid with anything that moves in anyway possible.

That's just the way nature works.

the-party-animal-6.jpg

This guy tries anything and will resort to anything to get him there. Drugs, pills, sexual devices nothing works until he stumbles across a chemically concocted Afrodisiac - "Large Penis, want it bad".

I love this film, it's a coming of age movie in the greatest sense that i was in the midst of no man's land at the time and it just sums it all up for me.

This is an american film but feels very english in it's humour. The rapidness of the sexual scenarios makes the film play like a cross between the "Young ones" and "Monty Python" at times with it's surreal scattershot humour, but pre empting those shite adolescent sex comedies like "American pie" by a fair few years.

There's a strange scene in a sex shop here that uses dildo's to represent nuclear missiles during the Reagan era, not only is it i'm sure one of the first uses of dildo's in a teenage comedy, but also it is pretty spot on representation of the "my missiles bigger than your's" shite we still get nowadays in these more (ahem) enlightened times.

This film manages to bung a load of offbeat humour into the first 1/2 hour and squeeze in a boobextravaganza at this time, for me effectively beating "Porkys" and "Revenge of the nerds" to the punch in double time.

There is also a weird talking heads thing going on where the main guys friends talk about him in a one to one reportage style, this gives the film a real identity i feel.

And if that's not enough to sell the film the soundtrack is made up of early eighties punk/ alternative style songs like Buzzcocks, R.E.M and the Untouchables and has a very punk sensibility.

Oh and also it has scenes that connect to horror films, with it's mad scientist creates an aphrodisiac scene's and the fact that the main guy is alway's saying "i'd sell my soul for a piece of ass", in true Faustian style.

A personal teenage classic.

As always 10/10.

Here is the scene when the main guy tries shit loads of drugs to impress the girls.

...Ah the teenage memories.

I still got that T- shirt somewhere.

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.

Last edited by nosferatu42; 30th April 2018 at 03:51 AM.
Old 30th April 2018, 01:47 AM
Cult Addict

A bunch of superhero shenanigans.

As a kid i was always a Spiderman/Batman comic reader.
But i lost track so basically i love the original ideas but am totally out of touch storyline wise.

Thor - the dark world.

Thought i wouldn't get into this as i find Thor a bit meh, but after i reached the half hour mark found myself enjoying it all. Christopher Eccleston is a bad elf and shit transports itself through space & time loopholes. Entertaining but unmemorable.

7 /10

Spiderman- Homecoming.

I am of the old school comic spiderman type fan, so found the changing of everything comic related a bit grating. With the er..hot Aunt May etc...
But despite this i liked the new Spiderkid, personally think he's on point- shame they "iron manned' the suit.
Also really liked Michael Keaton as the Vulture, to me despite the P.c warrior screwing with characters i enjoyed this more than the sub-standard Amazing Spiderman efforts.

8/!0

Captain America - Civil war

I really enjoyed this , can't seem to remember much thinking back, but it was a superior popcorn flick and i really enjoyed the face off at the airport.

9/10

Justice League

I expected this to be utter shite due to the reviews but found it perfectly watchable but also a little lacklustre.
I enjoyed the character interaction, but thought the main bad guy was not imposing enough and suffered from lack of back story.
I still feel Batman is miscast, Superman is of the necessary level of blandness,
Wonder woman, Aqua man and the flash were fine, but cyborg was underwhelming.
Not on the level of a Marvel team up mash up, but watchable if you are not a comic fanboy and are pretty forgiving.

7/10

Old 30th April 2018, 02:18 AM
Cult Addict

3 cases of murder.

220px-Three_Cases_of_Murder_VideoCover.jpeg

This turned up on the Talking pictures channel,on that so last century invention called a TV station a few days ago.

I like setting my TV to this channel when nothing is grabbing my attention, just to revel in that warm comforting glow of pure nostalgia that emits from Black and white films warming up that old cathode ray tube. ( i can still dream)

Occasionally something will turn up that is worth watching. And there is a whole heap of obscure stuff filling out the schedule therein.

Anyways.

This i had never heard of but it is basically a portmanteau film revolving around murder.

I thought i'd give this a once over to pass some time.

This is a worthwhile film, the three stories are all interesting and well acted but i just expected a basic murder/ crime showpiece.

I have to say the first story in this film was excellent, a surprisingly macabre tale that reminded me of the best of Twilight Zone, in the story we are in a art gallery, a character emerges from a painting attempting to entice onlookers to venture into the painting with them. Back in the painting they meet the sinister characters who live within the canvas.

I absolutely loved this story, so much so the rest of the film was slightly disappointing.

The second story was a straightforward murder story, it had a twist but was nothing special.

The third story features Orson welles as a politician who belittles an opponent in parliament and finds his dreams thereafter invaded by the opposition, slowly making him question his sanity.

The whole film i found enjoyable, but i must say that the first story i thought superb and the main reason to recommend this film if you can catch it.

8/10

Old 30th April 2018, 02:48 AM
Cult Addict

Frogs

maxresdefault (9).jpg

One of those films that if i saw it on TV regularly i would probably have fond memories of, but seeing it a new on a first watch it was a bit pants..

Sam Elliot turns up as some kind of eco warrior that is in tune with the animal revolt as everyone else twats about for a while waiting for an animal related death scene.

So we have death by lizards and toxic poisons. spiders. alligators and turtles, the only thing we never really get is death by frog.
They just sit at the wayside and croak until everyone else croaks.
The only frog related death is some guy that falls off a wheelchair and has a heart attack.
I know frogs aren't the scariest or most toothful of gods creatures but i at least expected one person to get gummed to death somewhere.

Disappointed by the lack of froggy vengeance.

5/10

Old 30th April 2018, 02:55 AM
Cult Addict

The shape of water.

shape-of-water.jpg

This is by far and away my favourite recent film watch.
Swept away and thoroughly enjoyed it.
Nice to see an Oscar winner with a combination of fairytale/ horror/ fantasy, nudity and a good dose of flicking the bean.
Can't fault it.
Personally it's my favourite Del Toro film to date.
10/10

Like this? Share it using the links below!