Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree180590Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21st June 2012, 07:17 AM
Cult Acolyte

Default walking

Now watching the walking dead
sawyer6, Hawkmonger and artisturn like this.
Old 21st June 2012, 11:49 AM
Ex-member

I thought Death laid an egg was a really great giallo. Watched it yesterday and loved it. Kinda put me in the romantic mood too.
bdc, Gojirosan and SharonLynette like this.
Old 21st June 2012, 12:09 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Watched Jason X last night, piss poor movie with lower than SYFY channel original production values, bad CGI and some shocking acting. Todd Farmer's script would have worked better had the film been made now with better CGI and a better cast. Awful.
Old 21st June 2012, 02:39 PM
Active Cultist

After a long drought I've watched 2 movies
The Brave One - Didn't Neil Jordan used to make idiosyncratic, interesting movies? The Company of Wolves, Mona Lisa, The Butcher Boy etc? Well not any more - this is a total honker, like Death Wish 3 without the humour and insanity old Winner brought to proceedings. Here's a movie that wants to be a serious exploration of vigilantism yet uses every cliche in the book - they're all here - the grocery store shooting, the subway car shooting, the wise black lady, the ridiculous punk gang. No evidence of this being used in a knowing way - just lazy lazy scriptwriting. The guy who plays the assistant cop gives the most wooden performance I've ever seen. Avoid this like the plague.
Valhalla Rising - Mixed feelings from me on this one - loved the ambition, the music, the images, the central mute performance, the sheer alien-ness of it all. Hated the cgi blood which totally took me out of the carefully created world, just as it did in Drive - why can't this director hire a decent SFX team? What was wrong with blood bags anyway? seemed to work for Tom Savini OK. Still, something brave and different - I'II watch it again.
Old 21st June 2012, 02:58 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Island Of Death - 1977 Greece d: Nico Mastorakis

I have never seen this before, indeed, of all the V**** N****** this is one of the ones about which I knew the least. So, finally, I caught up with it courtesy of Arrow's astonishingly fine looking DVD release.

First off, I am sure that films containing this much sexual assault are not supposed to be this funny. What a bizarre film! Quite nicely made, yet with some of the worst acting I have ever seen. The story is pretty good, I thought, but rendered very strangely and ultimately played for laughs!

A treasure of an oddity, in its way. Almost surreal in its constantly shifting tone and mood.
Old 21st June 2012, 06:32 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by VicDakin View Post
on the buses.
Late start this morning so thought id watch a Hammer classic,role on the blu ray restoration
I've always tried to pretend this never happened Vic

I'll get you Butler!
Old 21st June 2012, 06:37 PM
Cult Acolyte

Super Happy I'll get you Butler

Yeah you Dems both,i do like to remind Hammer fans that this was one of there biggest grossing movies in the 70s
Quote:
The film was produced by Ronald Chesney and Ronald Wolfe for Hammer Films, and enjoyed major success in Britain, outdoing Diamonds are Forever to become the highest performing film of 1971
Old 21st June 2012, 06:51 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

on the buses films you can never get tired of humour always brings a smile to my face...
Old 21st June 2012, 07:57 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gag View Post
on the buses films you can never get tired of humour always brings a smile to my face...
Studio Canal should release these as Hammer special edition blu-rays!
Hawkmonger likes this.
Old 21st June 2012, 09:17 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by VicDakin View Post
Yeah you Dems both,i do like to remind Hammer fans that this was one of there biggest grossing movies in the 70s

Like this? Share it using the links below!