Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179663Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 7th October 2013, 07:08 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes View Post
Okay, final word on Oldboy - because I was less than impressed with that and Tale of Two Sisters, another Korean film I picked up at the time Save the Green Planet was put on the long finger. A friend of mine urges me to watch whenever it comes up in conversation - apparently this is a good one. It looks a bit whak. Anyone seen it ?
I've never even heard of it.
Old 7th October 2013, 07:32 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes View Post
Okay, final word on Oldboy - because I was less than impressed with that and Tale of Two Sisters, another Korean film I picked up at the time Save the Green Planet was put on the long finger. A friend of mine urges me to watch whenever it comes up in conversation - apparently this is a good one. It looks a bit whak. Anyone seen it ?
Oldboy? Yes, it's very, very good. Don't read about it before you watch it though.

You know it's been remade by Spike Lee! I saw the trailer the other day.
ArgentoFan1987 and troggi like this.
Old 7th October 2013, 12:35 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delirium View Post
Oldboy? Yes, it's very, very good. Don't read about it before you watch it though.

You know it's been remade by Spike Lee! I saw the trailer the other day.
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH, those stupid bastards, they remade it!!!

Ahem.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 7th October 2013, 01:09 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Megadeth - Countdown to Extinction Live Bluray:-

A brilliant ninety minute live performance from the mighty Megadeth. Didn't appear to be in true HD ie 1080p. 1080i on my Sony player, still looked and sounded great. Not bothered with the total lack of extra features, with a performance that good, who cares? Great songs and great musicianship. Didn't have my surround sound hooked up so I just watched it using the stereo option. Highly recommended if you're a fan of Mustaine and Company
troggi likes this.
Old 7th October 2013, 02:38 PM
Active Cultist

Send a message via Skype™ to Invid Ninja

The Oldboy ambivalence surprises me, granted I too don't feel it's one of the absolute best modern films but I still think it's a very enjoyable and grimy revenge thriller. Mind you when it comes to the modern Korean films, I Saw The Devil is probably my favourite.

Either way, was watching Fulci's Conquest to prepare for a podcast guest spot very soon. Hey, I like it.
Demoncrat and troggi like this.

Cold Iron (R.O.T.O.R, 1987)
Old 7th October 2013, 02:49 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invid Ninja View Post
The Oldboy
Either way, was watching Fulci's Conquest to prepare for a podcast guest spot very soon. Hey, I like it.

Never heard of it I like Fulci's and like the look of the artwork, going to buy it,so once again this site has me spending money I shouldn't
Demoncrat and troggi like this.
Old 7th October 2013, 03:37 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Not a film, but a documentary on George A. Romero's Day of the Dead, entitled World's End: The Legacy of Day of the Dead. Another in depth study of this classic zombie movie from 1985. Got to hand it to Michael Felsher, his company Red Shirt Pictures make world class documentaries. And this is no exception. Would love to see this in HD on a region B re-release in the future. Till then, the DVD will have to do
Old 7th October 2013, 03:56 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

The Cabin in the Woods (2012)

Ground breaking and game changing spout the headline quotes on the movie poster.

No its not, its nothing like that.

Sure there hasn't really been this sort of film since Scream that tries to play with the normal horror conventions, but, and its a big but, most of the film is directly nicked from writer Joss Whedon's past work. The idea of the devil or the beast controlling the company that controls the actions of the films characters was used throughout Whedon's Angel series. The big bad law firm in that series was called Wolfram and Hart (Wolf, ram and heart geddit?) and the idea that creatures were being held captive by a mysterious organisation in an underground installation was used throughout series four of Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

The film is a bit of fun granted, but its allegedly game changing ideas are what spoil the film as a horror for me. The film cuts away much of the time to the lab where Bradley Whitford and Richard Jenkins are manipulating proceedings and these intrusions completely destroy any tension levels that may be building up. Whedon's script has some great character writing and witty dialogue which made me laugh quite a bit. In fact come the end of the film i felt i'd watched a comedy rather than a horror film which is a shame really as i'm fairly sure that wasn't Whedon's intentions.

On the whole Cabin was ok but it wasn't a horror film and i won't be in any rush to see it again.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CitwTeaserSmall.jpg (29.7 KB, 4 views)
Old 7th October 2013, 05:11 PM
Cult Acolyte

Friday the 13th - The Final Chapter was on Viva last night so I watched that
troggi likes this.
Old 7th October 2013, 05:15 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bringer Of Funerals View Post
Friday the 13th - The Final Chapter was on Viva last night so I watched that
Yay! I got back from Grimmfest and watched it in my hotel! Surprisingly it didn't look cut either.

Tonight I shall watch PRINCE OF DARKNESS on BLU-RAY as it was waiting for me when I got home, then if time I shall get a start on LIFEFORCE.

Like this? Share it using the links below!