All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179636Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21st June 2016, 10:49 AM
Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
Honeymoon, 2014. Leigh Janiak.

Young newlyweds Bea and Paul head to a semi-remote lakehouse for their honeymoon. When Paul gets up for a drink in the middle of the night he returns to bed to find Bea missing. Finding the door open he heads out into the woods and finds her stood naked amidst the trees a few hundred yards away from the house. Carrying her back he presumes she has been sleepwalking until she gradually starts exhibiting strange behaviour. Next he finds strange marks on her thighs and before long strange lights start appearing in the windows and i shall say no more other than this low budget little horror is well worth checking out. Carried more by the performances of its small cast than anything else both Rose Leslie (Game of Thrones) and Harry Treadaway (Fortitude) play the young lovers well and its the charisma and chemistry that make this work and draw you in.
GREAT choice. I loooove this movie. It's one of my favorite American-made horror films of the last decade, easily. Imagine my surprise when I discovered, just a week or so after I saw it for the first time, that HONEYMOON was shot just 5 minutes from where I work. I've swam in that lake, when I was a kid.

Anyway . . . cool to find another fan of this underrated gem.
Old 21st June 2016, 12:14 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesN View Post
GREAT choice. I loooove this movie. It's one of my favorite American-made horror films of the last decade, easily. Imagine my surprise when I discovered, just a week or so after I saw it for the first time, that HONEYMOON was shot just 5 minutes from where I work. I've swam in that lake, when I was a kid.

Anyway . . . cool to find another fan of this underrated gem.
Awesome. Yeah great movie, i like films that achieve a lot with very little and Honeymoon is just that, way more than the sum of its admittedly good parts. Small cast, simple setting, barely any real effects. Plus Rose Leslie is gorgeous.
keirarts and JamesN like this.
Old 21st June 2016, 07:01 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

LETHAL WEAPON 2

9.1/10
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lethal_weapon_two_ver2.jpg (95.4 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg ff-lethal-weapon-toilet1.jpg (54.4 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg i000960.jpg (63.1 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg Lethal Weapon10.jpg (93.2 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg Lethal-2-toilet-paper.jpg (31.4 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg lethal-weapon.jpg (45.0 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg Lethal-Weapon-2-03-DI-1.jpg (98.2 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg lethal-weapon-2-diplomats.jpg (46.8 KB, 3 views)
Old 21st June 2016, 07:07 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

THE THING FROM ANOTHER WORLD

7.8/10
Attached Images
File Type: jpg thing.jpg (14.9 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg Thing From Another World_snow.jpg (19.4 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpeg the-thing-group-circle.jpeg (25.9 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg the-thing-from-another-world-1951-21520939.jpg (11.5 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg the-thing-from-another-world.jpg (97.6 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg the-thing-crop.jpg (50.4 KB, 5 views)
Old 22nd June 2016, 11:07 AM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

The Happiness Cage (1972)

Christopher Walken and Ronny Cox go all One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest in this sci-fi (sorta') drama about brain experiments on US soldiers scarred in violence during the Vietnam war in an attempt to brain wash them and calm them down again.

For the most part this is quite good. Talky and engaging although never gripping, it's stage play roots always to the fore with the odd surreal and disturbing scene for good measure - witness the experimental monkey's with their brains protruding from bandages on the top of their heads. A young Walken in his first starring role stands out and it's clear what an original talent he'd turn into even so early in his career. Cox runs him close though in his turn as a violent sex offender.

The final scene as a brain cleansed Walken is unveiled to the press proves quite chilling.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mind_snatchers.jpg (71.5 KB, 5 views)
Old 22nd June 2016, 01:33 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
The Happiness Cage (1972)

Christopher Walken and Ronny Cox go all One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest in this sci-fi (sorta') drama about brain experiments on US soldiers scarred in violence during the Vietnam war in an attempt to brain wash them and calm them down again.

For the most part this is quite good. Talky and engaging although never gripping, it's stage play roots always to the fore with the odd surreal and disturbing scene for good measure - witness the experimental monkey's with their brains protruding from bandages on the top of their heads. A young Walken in his first starring role stands out and it's clear what an original talent he'd turn into even so early in his career. Cox runs him close though in his turn as a violent sex offender.

The final scene as a brain cleansed Walken is unveiled to the press proves quite chilling.

Noted.

Sadly cannot say the same about The Carrier (2015, Anthony Woodley), a rather cliched tale of survival in the air after a pandemic alert. Whilst I sat through The Comic (ahem....), this was a bit of a strain. Nae recommended at all.

Death Wish III (Michael Winner, 1985)
Self fulfilling right wing fantasy. Laugh riot with a few winces, due to "extremity" of the violence, not as hysterically reactionary as....

Death Wish IV (1987, J Lee Thompson)
From the team that would bring us the hyper racist Kinjite, this is a rollicking piece of Cannon fodder. Bronson intoning "I am Death!" as he wastes 3 scuuuuumbags is one of the greatest openings to modern cinema imho. Bergman eat yer heart out!! Ahem.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 22nd June 2016, 02:02 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Default Playing catch up time!

See No Evil 2 (2014)

Sadly underwhelming sequel to See No Evil which is a direct follow on from the 2006 original and takes place on that same night. Seemingly borrowing the prologue from Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter (1984) and expanding it into a full movie as psycho killer Jacob is taken to the morgue where some employees and friends are holding a birthday party. Obviously it's not long before Jacob comes back from the dead and starts killing again.

This film from the Soska twins who helmed the impressive American Mary (2012) wasn't as grisly as i'd hoped, and as i type these words a couple of weeks after watching it, not terribly memorable either. In fact all i really recall is the sexy Katharine Isabelle wearing the shortest skirt possible, getting off on the 'dead' body of Jacob on a mortuary slab.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kane2.jpg (34.3 KB, 3 views)
Old 22nd June 2016, 10:34 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Default Catch up time again...

Late Phases (2014)

I was surprised at how good Late Phases actually was. It's premise of a werewolf attacking the residents of a senior citizens village, i have to admit, didn't sound exactly exciting. However a sharp script held together by a superb performance from Nick Damici as retired army veteran Ambrose McKinley really engaged my full attention.

Added to the fact that McKinley is also blind and you have an almost impossible situation. How can a blind old man defeat a werewolf?

Late Phases is one of the best werewolf movies from recent years and boasts excellent creature effects, a credible story and enough intrigue, humour, action and excitement to keep even the most jaded horror fan gripped.

Director Adrián GarcÃ*a Bogliano, who also made the brilliant Here Comes the Devil (2012) is clearly a name to look out for in the horror genre.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LatePhases_Poster.jpg (98.1 KB, 4 views)
Old 22nd June 2016, 10:50 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Late Phases (2014)

I was surprised at how good Late Phases actually was. It's premise of a werewolf attacking the residents of a senior citizens village, i have to admit, didn't sound exactly exciting. However a sharp script held together by a superb performance from Nick Damici as retired army veteran Ambrose McKinley really engaged my full attention.

Added to the fact that McKinley is also blind and you have an almost impossible situation. How can a blind old man defeat a werewolf?

Late Phases is one of the best werewolf movies from recent years and boasts excellent creature effects, a credible story and enough intrigue, humour, action and excitement to keep even the most jaded horror fan gripped.

Director Adrián GarcÃ*a Bogliano, who also made the brilliant Here Comes the Devil (2012) is clearly a name to look out for in the horror genre.
Sounds good. Nick Damici is very watchable and brilliant in Stakeland.
Old 22nd June 2016, 10:53 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
Sounds good. Nick Damici is very watchable and brilliant in Stakeland.
It's ages since i watched Stakeland. I don't recall much about it.

Like this? Share it using the links below!