Ex-member

Old 1st February 2018, 04:09 PM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by gag View Post
Just watched the isle , that's the third film I've seen from Kim ki duk,
Anyone seen any of his other films ? Are they worth a watch if so I'll seek them out .
Moebius is worth checking out.

gag, Demoncrat, keirarts and 2 others like this.
Old 1st February 2018, 04:25 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeypedro View Post
I have seen most of his movies over the years and would definitely recommend them. I only recently watched Samaritan girl and Address Unknown which along with his other work can be picked up cheaply if you look around.
Thanks I certainly will,
Some directors make a handful of films that are good, and more that are rubbish or a lot are in different direction or don't look apealling,
keirarts likes this.
Old 1st February 2018, 06:38 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Watched the first 6 episodes words can't describe how bonkers had brilliant it is, the acting the wonderful special effects all have a unique charm , why are most of the men running around in there underwear! This isn't so bad when it's Flash , Crabbe is really very charismatic and handsome considering the time and is a striking figure but dear good Zarkov is just wrong with his spindle chicken legs . Lots of the sets from the classic universal horror films have been used here one of the most obvious is the set of Frankenstein. 9/10

Was going to watch terror in the was museum next, anyone seen it?

Last edited by trebor8273; 1st February 2018 at 07:11 PM.
Old 1st February 2018, 07:14 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post

Watched the first 6 episodes words can't describe how bonkers had brilliant it is, the acting the wonderful special effects all have a unique charm , why are most of the men running around in there underwear! This isn't so bad when it's Flash , Crabbe is really very charismatic and handsome considering the time and is a striking figure but dear good Zarkov is just wrong with his spindle chicken legs . Lots of the sets from the classic universal horror films have been used here one of the most obvious is the set of Frankenstein. 9/10

Was going to watch terror in the was museum next, anyone seen it?
I saw terror in the wax museum but not recently, what I do remember it's a good murder mystery flick, hope you enjoy it as I did Trebor.
Old 1st February 2018, 08:00 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Scream (1996).
Scream_movie_poster.jpg
This film has been parodied several times, and countless memes flood the internet. The killer's iconic mask is almost part of modern popular culture, and late director Wes Craven is a legend – mainly because he succeeded in reanimating the horror genre with his Scream Quadrilogy.
The film's best scene is most certainly Tatum's (played by the famous feminist Rose McGowan) death – well-deserved, bitch. Not a single nipple in sight though, despite the film's campus setting. Well, it's an American film after all. Essential viewing nevertheless.
Old 2nd February 2018, 04:45 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Bride of Frankenstein (1935)

****1/2 out of *****

Dolls (1987)

***1/2 out of *****

In-depth analysis on horror, exploitation, and other shocking cinema @ Cinematic Shocks
Old 2nd February 2018, 08:31 AM
Cult Addict

Strange vice of Mrs. Wardh

Edwige Fenech plays Julie Ward, a diplomats wife who enjoys a bit on the side. Her previous lover Jean. Played by Ivan Rassimov is continuing to stalk her. Julie has a strange, masochistic blood fetish and Jean appears to have been very good at triggering those, including flashbacks to kinky knife play and sexual assault. Julie isn't too keen to rekindle the romance. Instead she hooks up with George, played by George Hilton who seems to push most of her buttons without things getting too dark. Unfortunately women connected to Mrs. Wardh seem to be getting killed off by a mysterious black gloved stranger and someone seems to be targeting Julie herself. Is it an active serial killer at large or is one of the men in her life targeting her.
Strange vice ticks most of the Giallo boxes. Sexual hang-ups, straight razor killings, Black gloved killer and a twist that appears torn straight from a certain Hitchcock classic. Though I'll say no more in case someone here actually hasn't seen this one yet. Where it stands out is the direction of Sergio Martino who delivers a highly stylish and suspenseful picture with great cinematography and editing. Its also Helped a lot by the casting of Fenech who while primarily a star of comedy vehicles is a terrific and frankly completely gorgeous leading lady. The score by Nora Orlandi will stick in your brain long after the film is over. I'm sure everyone has seen this by now but if you haven't then get it watched.

All the colours of the dark

The three stars of strange vice return. Edwige Fenech plays Jane Harrison and George Hilton plays her husband Richard. Jane is having strange, surreal nightmares about a stranger with piercing blue eyes played by Ivan Rassimov. Julies nightmares appear to be bleeding into her daily life. She's got some issues, partly due to the murder of her mother when she was young, as well as the recent loss of a child in a car crash. Her sister suggests she gets therapy, something her husband is dead set against and he suggests vitamins instead. A neighbour in their apartment block suggests attending a Black Sabbath because the occult is always good for someone with mental health issues. The Sabbath just appears to make things worse and the borders between Julies dreams and reality begin to collapse entirely.
If Strange vice is a top tier example of the giallo, All the colours of the dark one-ups that and drags the genre into the arena of the genuinely surreal and disturbing. The film opens with a genuinely weird and nightmarish dream sequence which sets the tone of the film. Martino keeps the audience in Julies head space as much as possible and as a result we are never entirely sure whats real and what isn't. Its a film that doesn't shy from throwing in precognition as a plot device because when you already have satanic cult conspiracies why not? This is probably the closest Martino has come to a straight up horror movie. Big alligator river and Island of the fishmen are both more adventure films than horror. Its genuinely creepy, very suspenseful and in places its flat out nightmarish.
Old 2nd February 2018, 08:55 AM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Excellent reviews, K. I really like both films preferring, as you do, All the Colours of the Dark because it's like someone has binged watched as many high profile gialli as they could, coupled with some early Polanski and Hitchcock, and put all the bits they enjoyed into one screenplay. It is occasionally unsettling and, more surprisingly, reasonably coherent and doesn't even feel derivative!
Old 2nd February 2018, 08:23 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

It's February 2nd and that means.

10/10

Like this? Share it using the links below!