Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179897Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30th April 2018, 08:24 AM
Cult Acolyte

Went to the cinema today to see Avengers: Infinity War. I was in two minds whether to, as I'm not exactly the biggest fan of the MCU, but I'm glad I did. I enjoyed it far more than I thought I would, even with the butt-numbing running time. It helps that there was plenty of Robert Downey Jnr and the Guardians characters (the latter more than I expected, actually), as they're by far the best characters/actors in the franchise. I'm not going to call it cinema's finest hour but it was the best of the Avengers films so far and one of the better entries in the MCU, and that's coming from a cynic like me.
Old 30th April 2018, 03:35 PM
Cult Acolyte

^ Just come back myself from seeing AVENGERS INFINITY WAR.
Oh man. That was fracking awesome.
Old 30th April 2018, 06:06 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I also saw Avengers: Infinity War today and thoroughly enjoyed it. I thought the directors did an astonishingly good job in keeping the storyline and myriad characters meaningful, emotional and basically made the film coherent.

It would be very easy to let a movie with 27 superheroes and other various characters across different locations in the Galaxy descent into a jumbled mess, so the fact the film is not only easy to follow, but exciting and emotionally engaging is a testament to the writers, directors and superb ensemble cast.

I want to watch again at the cinema before the inevitable purchase for watching at home – I hope it's released on Ultra HD disc because the visuals and soundscape will massively benefit from a 4K picture and Dolby Atmos soundtrack.
Old 30th April 2018, 06:56 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
Avengers: Infinity War

a jumbled mess,
I sense my review already.
Old 30th April 2018, 07:00 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Wet Hot American Summer (2001, David Wain)

Well, hello cheeky! Where have you been all night? Come in and dry your script by the fire ... it must be cold, what with all the bare faced cheek on show
An amusing wee film. Niles!!

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 30th April 2018, 07:19 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I sense my review already.
As I said, the fact it isn't a jumbled mess is an achievement in itself. With the three of us who watched it all thoroughly enjoying it and being engaged throughout makes the filmmaking even more impressive.

It probably helps if you have seen the bulk of the MCU films, but someone I went with hadn't seen Age of Ultron or even a couple of Captain America films and still was able to follow the events and enjoy it immensely.
Old 30th April 2018, 07:21 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
As I said, the fact it isn't a jumbled mess is an achievement in itself. With the three of us who watched it all thoroughly enjoying it and being engaged throughout makes the filmmaking even more impressive.

It probably helps if you have seen the bulk of the MCU films, but someone I went with hadn't seen Age of Ultron or even a couple of Captain America films and still was able to follow the events and enjoy it immensely.
I haven't seen Guardians 2 or Fraggle Rock yet but no doubt will have done by the time this reaches dvd. I meant to watch Guardians 2 this weekend but didn't.
Demoncrat and keirarts like this.
Old 30th April 2018, 07:59 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
I also saw Avengers: Infinity War today and thoroughly enjoyed it. I thought the directors did an astonishingly good job in keeping the storyline and myriad characters meaningful, emotional and basically made the film coherent.

It would be very easy to let a movie with 27 superheroes and other various characters across different locations in the Galaxy descent into a jumbled mess, so the fact the film is not only easy to follow, but exciting and emotionally engaging is a testament to the writers, directors and superb ensemble cast.

I want to watch again at the cinema before the inevitable purchase for watching at home – I hope it's released on Ultra HD disc because the visuals and soundscape will massively benefit from a 4K picture and Dolby Atmos soundtrack.
It's coming out on ultra 4k already have the steelbook on preorder!
Old 30th April 2018, 08:03 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
It's coming out on ultra 4k already have the steelbook on preorder!
Good to know. I haven't yet preordered Black Panther, but will buy it soon.
keirarts and trebor8273 like this.
Old 30th April 2018, 08:34 PM
Cult Addict

Dyatlov Pass Incident aka Devil's Pass
Some students choose to investigate the disappearance of a Russian expedition in the 50s by going to Dyatlov Pass. Immediately they find footprints in the snow and find themselves trapped.
Another found footage movie. At first it seems to try to be like Blair Witch Project (instead of waking up to rocks, they wake up to footprints).
Another one for schlocktober.

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk

Like this? Share it using the links below!