All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179676Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27th December 2021, 10:23 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
The Blues Brothers (1980)

Just had a total blast watching the two and a half hour extended cut of John Landis' best film on Blu-ray at full volume.

Great performances, great songs, great action, simply a great time
Your house detached by chance Dem? If I put The Blues Brothers through my surround system full whack I've absolutely no doubt I'd have the police at the door.
Old 27th December 2021, 10:26 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
Your house detached by chance Dem? If I put The Blues Brothers through my surround system full whack I've absolutely no doubt I'd have the police at the door.
Semi...the neighbours are away for four days.
Demoncrat and MrBarlow like this.
Old 27th December 2021, 10:41 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
The Blues Brothers (1980)

Just had a total blast watching the two and a half hour extended cut of John Landis' best film on Blu-ray at full volume.

Great performances, great songs, great action, simply a great time
Elwood: It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.

Jake: Hit it.

One of many best lines in the film
Old 27th December 2021, 10:47 PM
Seasoned Cultist

I Bought A Vampire Motorcycle

Neil Morrissey buys a Motorcycle which runs on blood after a ritual goes wrong. Talking Pictures showed this and TBH, I didn't think much to this and also I don't think that I'd would have liked this back in the day.

Last Matinee

South American Slasher Movie which sees a Serial Killer stalk and kill Staff and Customers at a Cinema. I quite enjoyed this, definitely Arrows best modern release but however I wished that it was a typical 80's/90's style Slasher Film not a Arthouse style with slow motion scenes. Will watch this again but with the knowledge of what to expect.

Stagefright

A Serial Killer in a Owl costume is killing The Cast and Crew of a Theatre show whilst rehearsals. A bit slow to get going but once the Action started, it got pretty decent (Even though, I thought that there was going to be a twist at the end)

Looking at the VHS Cover, I believe that I recognize it from my Video Shop, never rented it. Which I'm kind of glad about due to how it was shot and the slowness at the beginning.

Also glad to see Shameless still going as I have a bit of a soft spot for them. Just wished that they are more regular with their releases.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ibavm.jpg (16.3 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg lm.jpg (10.8 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg s.jpg (12.5 KB, 5 views)
Old 28th December 2021, 12:20 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Mill Of The Stone Women. 1960

So glad I didn't pay out for the new release as it saves me kicking myself and finding this on Shudder.

Director Giorgio Ferron seems to start this off at a slow pace, throw in a curve ball with some good character building let everyone know who is who decently with the young artist Pierre Brice meeting famed sculptor Herbert Bohme who seems to hide more than one secret.

This does have a theme that we have seen in one or two other previous films that came out before but it does have a sense of a Gothic atmosphere inside the windmill, nothing we wouldn't expect for a Euro horror film, from start to finish this was really enjoyable and some good build up of tension added in and paranoia for a part.

220px-Mill_of_the_Stone_Women.jpg
Old 28th December 2021, 08:38 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Reno 911!: The Hunt For Qanon

Another film from these kooks. Set aboard a cruise ship, there is some hilarity here, though not up to their usual standards imho. Undemanding watch.

Wattstax (1973)

Part social commentary, part diatribe, part music documentary. Rufus and Issac Hayes being the highlights, though there is much to admire otherwise.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 28th December 2021, 07:08 PM
Cult Acolyte

deer_hunter_Ukquad.jpg
THE DEER HUNTER (1978)

Three Pennsylvania steelworks head off to the Vietnam War.
Experiencing the horrors of war after being captured, the friends are separated..

A revisit to a movie I had not seen in a while. This is all powerful stuff and shows the horrors that war can inflict on the soldiers and the families, and the aftermath on the return home.
You need to be in the right frame of mind for this as although this is a great movie, and thought provoking, it is also very sad and somewhat depressing.
Old 28th December 2021, 09:03 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The French Dispatch Of The Liberty Kansas Evening Sun (2021)

An amusing diversion from all that other nonsense imho.
The usual suspects climb on board. It's like a visual cushion tbh. Translations are available
Recommended. To Fandersons.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 29th December 2021, 06:59 AM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
The French Dispatch Of The Liberty Kansas Evening Sun (2021)

An amusing diversion from all that other nonsense imho.
The usual suspects climb on board. It's like a visual cushion tbh. Translations are available
Recommended. To Fandersons.

I watched a couple of nights ago and really liked it. Tilda as the art critic made be chuckle when she first appears. Great fun overall.
Demoncrat likes this.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 29th December 2021, 04:14 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Default December 23rd

Hagazussa (2017)

Pretentious glacially paced arthouse horror film (minus any horror) mentioned, ridiculously, in the same breath as Robert Eggers' masterful The Witch.

Whilst the long shots of German forests and mountainsides were lovely to look at that's about as exciting as this film got. There's barely any dialogue and truthfully nothing of note happens. I wanted to like Hagazussa, it created an atmosphere with eerie music and long lingering shots but there was no payoff whatsoever, quickly the long lingering shots became extremely dull, in fact if you removed the simplistic music from the film i wouldn't know what genre of film i was watching.

The Blu-ray case says it's an 18 certificate due to strong violence and sexual violence... i think the BBFC examiner probably fell asleep and just gave it the rating and advice a film like this may have gained because you can be sure as shit that nothing of the sort happens here.

For a few minutes i turned on Kat Ellinger's commentary and once again she proves horrendous to listen to. You know it's horror and stuff.

½ / 5

Last edited by Demdike@Cult Labs; 29th December 2021 at 05:41 PM.

Like this? Share it using the links below!