Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Sci-Fi & Fantasy
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Poll: Who's your favourite Doctor?
Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.
Poll Options
Who's your favourite Doctor?

Like Tree28674Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14th November 2015, 10:02 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Location: Cornwall. The land of Cornish pasties, pixes and Straw Dogs

Well that was unispiring. Bland, dull and rather lame in my opinion. Sleep No More should be re-titled NO MORE MARK GATISS. I was so bored by the episode that I actually contemplated taking the dog out for a pee in the wind and drizzle midway through the episode. The only aspect I liked about the episode was the set design interior of the space station. Disappointed quite honestly. And we were on the ball with the Zygon 2-parter which started ok and made up for it with the second episode. O'well....there's always classic Dr Who to drown my sorrow.
Old 14th November 2015, 10:35 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hivemind View Post
Well that was unispiring. Bland, dull and rather lame in my opinion. Sleep No More should be re-titled NO MORE MARK GATISS. I was so bored by the episode that I actually contemplated taking the dog out for a pee in the wind and drizzle midway through the episode. The only aspect I liked about the episode was the set design interior of the space station. Disappointed quite honestly. And we were on the ball with the Zygon 2-parter which started ok and made up for it with the second episode. O'well....there's always classic Dr Who to drown my sorrow.
Wasn't wonderful was it.
JoshuaKaitlyn likes this.
Old 14th November 2015, 11:20 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Wasn't wonderful was it.
Considering all the hype surrounding the fact that Mark Gatiss was going to deliver a "darker story", it was pathetic. Why? why? why? do we have to endure Mark Gatiss again. I think there's a hidden love affair going on between Moffat and the man himself. To be invited back time and time again with very little original and lame stories to tell, I'm beginning to wonder.... There's so many wonderful Dr Who writers out there, why? have Gatiss back. Lance Parkin should be given a shot at Dr Who or Robert Shearman again. Maybe give the legendary Terrance Dicks a shot before he pops his clogs? Sometimes I just wonder.... Maybe Steven Moffat has lost the flipping plot.
iank likes this.
Old 14th November 2015, 11:29 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hivemind View Post
Considering all the hype surrounding the fact that Mark Gatiss was going to deliver a "darker story", it was pathetic. Why? why? why? do we have to endure Mark Gatiss again. I think there's a hidden love affair going on between Moffat and the man himself. To be invited back time and time again with very little original and lame stories to tell, I'm beginning to wonder.... There's so many wonderful Dr Who writers out there, why? have Gatiss back. Lance Parkin should be given a shot at Dr Who or Robert Shearman again. Maybe give the legendary Terrance Dicks a shot before he pops his clogs? Sometimes I just wonder.... Maybe Steven Moffat has lost the flipping plot.
I'm all for those other writers you suggest.

Gatiss is an odd one. I like him and the majority of things he's done. Both in Who and out but he's now delivered two poor stories on the bounce. I liked everything he'd written up to the excellent Crimson Horror.
Old 15th November 2015, 10:45 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Wasn't wonderful was it.
Welcome to the dark side my young padawan!

Season finale involves belly button fluff apparently!
Old 15th November 2015, 11:55 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
I'm all for those other writers you suggest.

Gatiss is an odd one. I like him and the majority of things he's done. Both in Who and out but he's now delivered two poor stories on the bounce. I liked everything he'd written up to the excellent Crimson Horror.
I'll agree with you on the Crimson Horror, and 2005's Unquiet Dead which probably were the only two stories to remotely come close to what I would call a genuine classic Dr Who story written by Gatiss. All the others bar Crimson, which, I confess I did enjoy, you can dump into a galactic wormhole...forever! It's true to say that these story idea's come from the head writer of the show with the contracted writer developing the outline given to them, so Moffat to a small degree is to blame for this, but as to whether Moffat permitted Gatiss to just develop his own story without Moffat's input I don't know. I suspect Mark Gatiss will be back next year as well. Hope not. Maybe next year will be the final series of Dr Who on the BBC. The omen's don't look too good. We'll see....
Old 15th November 2015, 06:09 PM
Cult Acolyte

Going against the grain ( pun intended ) I really liked this episode! It was something very different, off the wall and unfolded like some kind of nightmare. And what a wonderfully nightmarish image at the end to send the kiddies to sleep!

I agree that Mark Gatiss' stuff polarises opinion, but personally I've enjoyed all of his stories , apart from Victory Of The ( Tellytubbies ) Daleks. I hope he continues to write for the programme.

I agree some new writers should be given a chance though. However, being a famous writer doesn't automatically mean you will 'get' what Who is all about. Frankie Boyce's contribution last year was absolute bollocks.
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 15th November 2015, 06:20 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
Going against the grain ( pun intended ) I really liked this episode! It was something very different, off the wall and unfolded like some kind of nightmare. And what a wonderfully nightmarish image at the end to send the kiddies to sleep!

I agree that Mark Gatiss' stuff polarises opinion, but personally I've enjoyed all of his stories , apart from Victory Of The ( Tellytubbies ) Daleks. I hope he continues to write for the programme.

I agree some new writers should be given a chance though. However, being a famous writer doesn't automatically mean you will 'get' what Who is all about. Frankie Boyce's contribution last year was absolute bollocks.
Weirdly i really liked Boyce's episode and enjoyed it even more when i watched the dvd box set in the summer. The worst episodes last year were definitely Robots of Sherwood and Kill the Moon.

Victory of the Daleks is also really good. I've probably seen that 5 times now and last saw it a couple of months ago. Admittedly it goes downhill when the Daleks clear off but i still really like it.

I also like the Dalek Paradigm. It probably has something to do with seeing the stage show that year when they were brilliant.

The Sandmen were great monsters in last night's episode it's just the concept behind them was terrible. loved the Silurian line as they were named Sandmen.
Mojo likes this.
Old 15th November 2015, 07:16 PM
Cult Acolyte

I think the problem with the Paradigm Daleks was the hump at the back. Don't change a classic design! If it wasn't for that I think they would have looked awesome.

Sometimes I think Moffat tinkers with classic monsters for the sake of it. Don't get me wrong - I wasn't a fan of RTD's writing, but I do think he had a great eye for the visual. His gold Daleks are classic, Cybermen and Sontarans also. On the other hand, Moffat's Silurians were awful, we now have comedy Sontarans and I even think RTD's Zygons would have been better.
Old 15th November 2015, 07:23 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
I think the problem with the Paradigm Daleks was the hump at the back. Don't change a classic design! If it wasn't for that I think they would have looked awesome.

Sometimes I think Moffat tinkers with classic monsters for the sake of it. Don't get me wrong - I wasn't a fan of RTD's writing, but I do think he had a great eye for the visual. His gold Daleks are classic, Cybermen and Sontarans also. On the other hand, Moffat's Silurians were awful, we now have comedy Sontarans and I even think RTD's Zygons would have been better.
The idea of the hump was to store various weapons but it was never utilized and so looked daft unfortunately.

I totally agree that the RT-D designs were far superior to all of Moffats. Although i did like the Ice Warrior (until it opened up which just wasn't needed)

Like this? Share it using the links below!