Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Sci-Fi & Fantasy
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Poll: Who's your favourite Doctor?
Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.
Poll Options
Who's your favourite Doctor?

Like Tree28687Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14th November 2016, 02:19 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Why not have him degenerate into Tennant
That would certainly be the word to use if that happened!

Quote:
definitely something new whilst returning to the old format.
and taking the show back to 2010, when it should be moving forward

David Tennant may have been popular, but he has had his time. He was 34 when he was cast in the role. If he returned TODAY, he would be 45 - hardly a young, pin-up Doctor any more!
iank likes this.

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 14th November 2016, 02:25 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan Foreman View Post
That would certainly be the word to use if that happened!

and taking the show back to 2010, when it should be moving forward

David Tennant may have been popular, but he has had his time
The problem is in which forward direction? It's clearly not as popular as it once was which must be down to the producer and star - poor scripts and a star who the public don't enjoy as much. Even dross like Fear Her could be carried by Tennant and Piper in the public's eyes. Less so Capaldi and Coleman, who looked lovely but was so bland. I feel a lot of the blame is with Steven Moffat though for leaving aside methods that always worked and introducing woeful plot arcs.
Old 14th November 2016, 02:44 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
The problem is in which forward direction? It's clearly not as popular as it once was which must be down to the producer and star - poor scripts and a star who the public don't enjoy as much. Even dross like Fear Her could be carried by Tennant and Piper in the public's eyes. Less so Capaldi and Coleman, who looked lovely but was so bland. I feel a lot of the blame is with Steven Moffat though for leaving aside methods that always worked and introducing woeful plot arcs.
The blame is also with the BBC, who totally cocked up the transmission time for the last series - it was on much too late for a lot of the potential audience. Sadly, crap like 'Strictly' now dominates the autumn schedule, and this dictates what time other programmes are broadcast

I have mentioned before that I think Capaldi is a wonderful Doctor. I know it's going to be a controversial statement, but in my opinion, he is the best of the Nu-Who actors

Steven Moffat has made the show too convoluted now. With Russell T., and classic series stories like 'The Key To Time' and 'Trial Of A Time Lord', the arc was not as prevalent as it is now. With Moffat it is very much IN-YOUR-FACE... now what shall I make the actual story about?

[Off topic - I have been watching 'Sherlock' recently, and at the end of each story, I am saying to Chloe "it's much too clever for it's own good". That same criticism can be laid at the feet of Doctor Who under Moffat]
nosferatu42 likes this.

Old 14th November 2016, 03:39 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
The blame is also with the BBC, who totally cocked up the transmission time for the last series - it was on much too late for a lot of the potential audience. Sadly, crap like 'Strictly' now dominates the autumn schedule, and this dictates what time other programmes are broadcast

I have mentioned before that I think Capaldi is a wonderful Doctor. I know it's going to be a controversial statement, but in my opinion, he is the best of the Nu-Who actors

Steven Moffat has made the show too convoluted now. With Russell T., and classic series stories like 'The Key To Time' and 'Trial Of A Time Lord', the arc was not as prevalent as it is now. With Moffat it is very much IN-YOUR-FACE... now what shall I make the actual story about?

[Off topic - I have been watching 'Sherlock' recently, and at the end of each story, I am saying to Chloe "it's much too clever for it's own good". That same criticism can be laid at the feet of Doctor Who under Moffat]
I do think SM thinks of an idea then doesn't know where to take it. The last finale was a case in point. Following the fascinating Hell Bent we ended up on Gallifrey with the Time Lords returning then he didn't know what to do with them. I mean, what we saw on screen was really poor, hardly the event television RT-D would have come up with. Hell, having Gallifrey invaded by some strips of tin foil was more exciting television.

I too rate Capaldi. I loved loads of his stories but there have been far too many damp squibs. They should never have gone with the unlikable Doctor of series 8. Even though i thought it was great and still do the audience didn't and didn't bother coming back in numbers for series 9 although that could be blamed on the shiteness that was Death in Heaven. Which in turn was another brilliant idea - Cybermen created from the dead and set up superbly in Dark Water but no idea where to take the story and in the end it just fizzled out.

Matt Smith is my fave nu-Who Doctor. I just love his portrayal, his mannerisms, his interaction with people like Craig, he's just a joy to watch.

I do like Sherlock, it just got too convoluted towards the end of series 3 and the Abominable Bride. The Mind Palace stuff is and will always be bollocks in my opinion.
Susan Foreman and nosferatu42 like this.
Old 14th November 2016, 04:25 PM
Cult Addict

My favourite nu Who's are Mr Eccles cake and Capaldi, i like the Doctor as a moody bastard who can suddenly change and have his own agenda as needs be, i liked the others but they were a bit too nice.
I like the idea of the doctor having his own mind and not striving for an audience friendly solution always, he is a time lord after all who has seen more shit going down than the average 12 year old viewer.
Bollocks to pin up doctors in my flavoured onion.( = opinion)
Susan Foreman and trebor8273 like this.

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.
Old 14th November 2016, 04:31 PM
Cult Addict

Oh and John Hurt was good although nobody counts him as a doctor, he's just an inbetweener by all accounts.

Sod it, f*** nu who and bring back the 8th for a series.
trebor8273 likes this.

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.
Old 14th November 2016, 04:49 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

tried watching the next story of season 24 and it was nearly as awful as the first story, the whole thing just seems off, will try the next two story's, mind Mel doesn't help who must be the worst companion ever, each time she opens her mouth i want to throttle her! Also Mcoy's performance seems very Amateur Dramatics at times.

on subject of new who favourite doctors have to be Peter Capaldi and Christopher Eccleston. never could get into Tennant even though he had some great storys i just found him off putting and a bit slimy.
nosferatu42 likes this.

Last edited by trebor8273; 14th November 2016 at 06:15 PM.
Old 14th November 2016, 08:18 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Idiots!

Doctor Who due a major shake-up as bosses aim for 'brand new show' in 2018 - Mirror Online

They talk about a 'brand new show', but in the same breath mention they "want a return to the format from the David Tennant era, with a dashing male lead and young female companion"
I don't really see anything to get upset over with this. A brand new start from the up itself and unpopular Moffat era is definitely required, and any new Doctor is hardly likely to be older than the current one, is he?
In the end it comes down to them getting capable, charismatic actors and, most importantly, scripts that aren't dire. The current show isn't just bad, it's deeply BORING and that's coming from a hardcore 30 year fan. No wonder the casuals couldn't care less!

I liked Eccles and Smith best from the new who lot, though they increasingly ruined Smith after his first season.
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 15th November 2016, 05:18 AM
Cult Master

Some book oddities!

'The Irresistible Force' by Clark Carrados and 'Monkey Planet' (aka 'Planet Of The Apes') by Pierre Boulle

If they look familiar, it's probably because of this:

In fact, if you look closely at the second picture, you can clearly see the Draconian head behind the Statue Of Liberty!

Old 15th November 2016, 11:51 AM
Cult Master

Watch cinema trailer for 'Doctor Who' Christmas ep: "The Return of Doctor Mysterio"

It seems that some 'selected' US cinemas are going to be screening 'The Return Of Doctor Mysterio' on December 27th and December 29th

Like this? Share it using the links below!