Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179663Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 3rd January 2014, 07:32 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
If you want to cherish your memories of the original, don't see the remake – I wish I hadn't!
I've managed to avoid so far. Trouble is I just know i'll end up picking it up in a charity shop some day cheap and end up watching it.
Old 3rd January 2014, 07:41 AM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
I've managed to avoid so far. Trouble is I just know i'll end up picking it up in a charity shop some day cheap and end up watching it.
True. It will be a film that will be very hard to avoid. You seem to have the same reverence for De Palma's Carrie as I do, so you'll probably watch the remake and spend 90% of the time comparing it to the 1976 film and thinking things like 'this scene was better', 'Sissy Spacek was better at this', 'Piper Laurie was a much better Margaret' and 'the direction/camerawork/music/editing* was so much better' in De Palma's film.

*Delete as applicable
Old 3rd January 2014, 07:45 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
True. It will be a film that will be very hard to avoid. You seem to have the same reverence for De Palma's Carrie as I do, so you'll probably watch the remake and spend 90% of the time comparing it to the 1976 film and thinking things like 'this scene was better', 'Sissy Spacek was better at this', 'Piper Laurie was a much better Margaret' and 'the direction/camerawork/music/editing* was so much better' in De Palma's film.

*Delete as applicable
Judging by the trailer i'll probably have the same reactions as I had for the dreadful nightmare on elm street and Fog remakes. Utter contempt.
Old 3rd January 2014, 07:50 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
Judging by the trailer i'll probably have the same reactions as I had for the dreadful nightmare on elm street and Fog remakes. Utter contempt.
It isn't in the same category as those two as it's a perfectly serviceable film, which is well made by a very good director (Kimberly Pierce) and not a complete waste of electricity, but it pales in comparison compared to the original. It's a little like Let Me In in that respect.
Old 3rd January 2014, 09:13 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Crystal Lake Memories doc:-

Wow, what a doc! Massive, informative and I'm still not finished. Hopefully I'll fall asleep during the segments on parts V and VIII ha ha! Only joking. Bring it ALL ON
Old 3rd January 2014, 01:07 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Lifeforce

Agree with mojo on this. barmy acting and laughable dialogue at times, but I love it, will even emit it's my favourite hooper film. 80s cheese at its best. We also have the lovely Mathilda May, remember my old VHS copy I used to watch as a kid was nearly worning out, surprised I didn't have arms like Arnie after watching it and another fantastic restoration job by arrow. 9.5/10

Next my first viewing of cat o'nine tales.
Pete likes this.

Last edited by trebor8273; 3rd January 2014 at 01:55 PM.
Old 3rd January 2014, 01:42 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quite a few, xmas presents, loans etc. Will recap on monday ahem!!

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 3rd January 2014, 01:57 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Recent viewings:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dressed to kill.jpg (97.7 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg Fulci's Silver Saddle.jpg (38.3 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg ladykillers.jpg (85.3 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg reservoir dogs.jpg (9.9 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg terminator2.jpg (19.2 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg Texas_chainsaw_massacre_2_poster.jpg (26.8 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg puppet master.jpg (39.5 KB, 5 views)

Letterboxd | Youtube | Twitter
Old 3rd January 2014, 03:49 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
It isn't in the same category as those two as it's a perfectly serviceable film, which is well made by a very good director (Kimberly Pierce) and not a complete waste of electricity, but it pales in comparison compared to the original. It's a little like Let Me In in that respect.
Somehow that's sadder....
Old 3rd January 2014, 06:40 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Kill Zombie! (2012).

Most films that claim to be comedy horrors from recent years don't work at all for me. Either they are too daft or have no laughs at all. Its a very thin line and only a handful of films have achieved this to my tastes.- Shaun of the Dead, Botched, Doghouse, Slither, The Cottage, Fido and Severance are all i can think of that got it right. Now i can add Kill Zombie! to that list.

This Dutch film concerns a Russian space station which crash lands on an Amsterdam office block turning the cities inhabitants into flesh eating mutants. A disparate group of folk and the local police officer team up on a rescue mission for any survivors.

The great thing about Kill Zombie! is that the production gets so much right. The film is populated by characters you care about and the script is beautifully written to put them in situations that require inventive ways to deal with them, hence where the humour comes from. Although low budget, the money has been spent wisely and the film looks fantastic with slick production values, featuring lovely gory effects and seemingly a cast of thousands playing the zombies. Full of blacker than black humour, a cool arsenal of weapons and more zombies than dear old George could handle, Kill Zombie! is a fantastic piece of modern Euro horror.

Highly recommended
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 373Kill_Zombie_1Sheet.jpg (28.7 KB, 4 views)
keirarts and Frankie Teardrop like this.

Last edited by Demdike@Cult Labs; 3rd January 2014 at 07:02 PM.

Like this? Share it using the links below!