Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179663Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17th August 2017, 08:47 AM
Cult Addict

WTF

Surly, obnoxious teens head out to a country house to get wasted and screw. Upon arrival they start getting killed off one by one in a variety of nasty ways. Pretty much the generic slasher formula xeroxed in with some millennial nonsense WTF is about as predictable as one might imagine, even to the killers identity. That said it does its thing reasonably well, its well shot and the kills are fairly graphic. I wouldn't rush out to pay good money on this one though. Its more likely than not going to end up either in poundland or netflix where its probably worth 90 minutes of your time if your after a bit of comforting familiarity. Nothing special.

From a house on willow street.

Much better. This one has a gang kidnap the daughter of a wealthy suburban family only to find themselves in deep s*** when they realise said daughter is possessed by something genuinely malevolent. Well paced, it contains some nice ideas and decent visual effects and actually has some creepy moments. This ones well worth visiting if you get the chance.
Old 17th August 2017, 08:59 AM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleakshaun View Post
Hardware
Set in a post apocalyptic future; a scavenger discovers remains of a robot and brings them back to the city where he sells the head. The man who bought the head gives it to his girlfriend to use for her art. Unfortunately the head is part of a prototype robot that can self repair and rebuild itself and it ends up going on a rampage.
It's not the best cyberpunk movie i've seen, but for what it is it's a great effort on the part of Stanley, the story is rather convoluded at times, but it has great effects and one of the best cameos by Lemmy i've ever seen.
7/10
Have you watched the Future Shock doc yet? Those guys over at 2000AD were particularly miffed by Hardware being a total rip off of Shok!

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 17th August 2017, 09:02 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
Have you watched the Future Shock doc yet? Those guys over at 2000AD were particularly miffed by Hardware being a total rip off of Shok!
i seen it on film4 last year
Justin101, Demoncrat and keirarts like this.
Old 17th August 2017, 05:36 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Highlander II: The Quickening (1991)

Special Edition.

** out of *****

The theatrical cut gets a * out of *****

In-depth analysis on horror, exploitation, and other shocking cinema @ Cinematic Shocks
Old 17th August 2017, 06:05 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Poughkeepsie Tapes (2007, John Erick Dowdle)
Mockumentary about a serial killer.
Not as good as Leslie Vernon.
Fairly gruesome in places for an American film.
So I thought ....

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 18th August 2017, 12:17 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinematic Shocks View Post
Highlander II: The Quickening (1991)

Special Edition.

** out of *****

The theatrical cut gets a * out of *****

Ahem, this may be giving too much information away but hey, what the hell.
When i was a young whippersnapper i watched Highlander 2 whilst on LSD at a mates house party type thing.
I've never seen the film since and really am not a fan of Highlander films but i remember thinking what the **** is going on and enjoying it much more than the first film.
I have never gone back to it because everybody says it's shit and i have quite fond memories of the first viewing.
Probably made a lot more sense as well.

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.
Old 18th August 2017, 04:43 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosferatu42 View Post
When i was a young whippersnapper i watched Highlander 2 whilst on LSD at a mates house party type thing.
I've never seen the film since and really am not a fan of Highlander films but i remember thinking what the **** is going on and enjoying it much more than the first film.
I have never gone back to it because everybody says it's shit and i have quite fond memories of the first viewing.
Are you sure it was memorable, or is that the acid talking

Sent from my MediaPad T1 8.0 Pro using Tapatalk
keirarts likes this.
Old 18th August 2017, 09:07 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosferatu42 View Post
The original is an 80’s cult classic, and is one of my childhood favourites. The theatrical cut of 2 is one of the worst sequels ever made, but the Special Edition makes it tolerable. 3 is better than the incoherence of the theatrical cut of 2, but is worse than its Special Edition, as 3 is virtually a repeat of the first film, only not as well made and lacking any of its charm. At least the Special Edition of 2 attempts to do something different and is more coherent than its theatrical cut.

4 (Endgame) is the best sequel, but that’s not saying much as it still isn’t particularly good. But it’s not TOO BAD, and is worth a watch if you’re a fan of the first film and the TV series, which is very good overall, and is the most faithful to the spirit of the first film. Endgame is a crossover with the TV series, and is the best continuity to follow - first film, TV series, and Endgame. There’s another film in this continuity called The Source, which I haven’t seen. It’s supposed to be ****ing terrible though, and even worse than II and III.

Ratings out of 5:

Highlander ****

Highlander II: The Quickening - Theatrical Cut * Special Edition **

Highlander III: The Sorcerer *1/2

Highlander: Endgame **1/2

In-depth analysis on horror, exploitation, and other shocking cinema @ Cinematic Shocks

Last edited by Cinematic Shocks; 18th August 2017 at 09:19 AM.
Old 18th August 2017, 09:14 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinematic Shocks View Post
Highlander III: The Sorcerer *1/2
i used to have this on vhs when i was young and back then i regarded it as my favourite sequel, i tried watching again 3 years ago, it's utterly laughable and i now just want to kick myself for enjoying it
keirarts and Cinematic Shocks like this.
Old 19th August 2017, 03:30 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Nosferatu the Vampyre 1979

In Germany estate agent Jonathan Harker travels to Transylvania to meet with Count Dracula who wishes to buy property.

This is a class remake of F. W. Murnau's silent 1922 movie based on Bram Stoker novel.

This is another brilliant collaboration between director Werner Herzog and Klaus Kinski. Though Kinski dominates the screen as half man half rat appearance and creepy look. Isabelle Adjani's performance as Lucy is her best performance as the Count's lost love.

The film is not fast paced as previous Dracula movies and also comes with eerie perfect background score. Although parts of it is quite dark, it is best watched in the dark. 10 out of 10.

Like this? Share it using the links below!