All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179633Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31st March 2020, 03:37 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
So, would you have approached the chair?

I'd have probably been next seen three miles away in about two minutes flat.
Like buggery! EEEEEEEEEEEEEEK etc. Cue Tex Avery style dust cloud etc
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 31st March 2020, 07:28 PM
Cult Acolyte

Default Lock Up (1989)

Lock Up.(1989)
Stallone obviously has a fondness for prison’s, if his recent slew of direct to Dvd film’s Escape Plan,are anything to go by. Stallone plays a mechanic who ends up in prison due to a miscarriage of justice,(well something like that) but on the verge of being released he is moved to a full maximum security prison by nasty prison warden Donald Sutherland.(he has a grudge against Stallone, for a reason to banal or unbelievable for me to remember).Lock Up is not a particularly bad movie, but it does suffer from all the usual prison clichés, corrupt warden, corrupt guards, sympathetic guards, sympathetic old timer prisoner and of course young new prisoner who can’t keep his mouth shut...This is a late 80’s film so Stallone is still looking good, and manages to be convincing in his numerous fight .Trouble is the film doesn’t know in which direction it wants to go, one minute it’s trying to be Mean Machine, Stallone is also an ex American football player, the next it’s Escape From Alcatraz. If your looking for some dumb non sensical action, then you could do a lot worse, for example Escape Plan 1,2 and 3.

Old 31st March 2020, 09:34 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Inferno. 1980.

A brother and sister Mark and Rose, living apart between Rome and New York, Rose believes the building she is staying in is a coven for witches. When Rose disappears Mark travels to New York and investigates the building and its Architect called Varelli.

Dario Argento's sequel to Suspiria focuses on the younger sister Mater Tenebrarum (Mother of Darkness) who was the younger sister and most evil one of the three. Again Dario gives us a glimpse into horror, thriller and suspense with a gory detail into killings in his own vision, mixed with his use of bright colours and atmospheric buildings. When i first saw this it took me a few watches to understand but now it is brilliant even the Mrs thought it was better than Suspiria including the revealing of the twist on who the sister was and Varelli.

Inferno.jpg
Old 31st March 2020, 09:37 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

National Treasure (2004)

I think the biggest compliment i can give National Treasure is that it would have been the perfect goodbye for Harrison Ford in the forthcoming Indiana Jones 5.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Movie_national_tre-12272.jpg (26.8 KB, 4 views)
Old 31st March 2020, 09:38 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Default Dark Angel, A Nightmare On Elm Street Part 2: Freddie's Reveng & The Abyss

Again nothing that interested me on TV so another treble bill:

Dark Angel
As a previous poster stated, an entertaining 1990 Dolph Lundgren flick.

A Nightmare On Elm Street Part 2: Freddie's Revenge
Other than the party scene, I could not remember anything else about this movie. To be honest, I enjoyed it. I believe that this film would be been remembered more if Dream Warriors was the first sequel that way, you would have finished the Nancy storyline and Freddie's revenge would have started off fresh as the 3rd film of the series.

The Abyss

When I first saw the trailer, I thought that this would be a horror film then I found it that it was a Sci-Fi/Thriller. In a way it's a strange movie some parts were entertaining however I found it really slow in other places. In a way, I'm not sure the Alien involvement was really necessary. It could have easily submarine survival movie. Also I felt it would have made a good 2hr film.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg images8GMOXVNU.jpg (14.3 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg untitled.jpg (15.0 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg bubnu.jpg (6.3 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by nicholasrope; 31st March 2020 at 10:35 PM.
Old 31st March 2020, 09:42 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
National Treasure (2004)

I think the biggest compliment i can give National Treasure is that it would have been the perfect goodbye for Harrison Ford in the forthcoming Indiana Jones 5.
I remember watching this at the cinema on Boxing Day when it came out. Shame the sequel didn't do as well, could have been a solid franchise. Mind you, I'm quite shocked they haven't done a straight to DVD 3rd one
Old 31st March 2020, 09:44 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
8MM (1999)

Joel Schumacher's film based on an Andrew Kevin Walker (Se7en) script is a dark and sleazy thriller (Although not quite as sleazy now as it seemed back in 1999).

Set in the grimy world of underground hardcore bondage film making, 8mm has private investigator, a more subtle Nic Cage, investigating the probable murder of a young girl by a gang making snuff films.

Cage is in excellent form as is Joaquin Phoenix as a adult video store employee who helps Cage with his investigations. It's not difficult to figure when you see the other cast members such as James Gandolfini and Peter Stormare, which side of the fence they sit and both are impressively scuzzy villains.

The general atmosphere of the film is grim with barely a chink of light to be found. It's violent naturally, but the sexual violence on show is there to disgust rather than titillate allowing Schumacher to create a dark disturbing atmosphere and ask some morality questions of the audience rather than simply taking them on a Hollywood thrill ride.
Other than Con Air, this is my favorite Nicholas Cage film, no sugarcoating and it was as disturbing as it should have been
Old 31st March 2020, 09:53 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholasrope View Post
I remember watching this at the cinema on Boxing Day when it came out. Shame the sequel didn't do as well, could have been a solid franchise. Mind you, I'm quite shocked they haven't done a straight to DVD 3rd one
A third one is now going ahead i understand with Bruckheimer producing for Disney and a script by the fella who did Bad Boys For Life.
Justin101 likes this.
Old 31st March 2020, 09:55 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholasrope View Post
Other than Con Air, this is my favorite Nicholas Cage film, no sugarcoating and it was as disturbing as it should have been
Not sure which Cage film is my fave as i like so many of his including last years Primal.

I'd probably go for Leaving Las Vegas then Con Air.
Old 31st March 2020, 10:03 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
A third one is now going ahead i understand with Bruckheimer producing for Disney and a script by the fella who did Bad Boys For Life.
I wonder if it's a Disney+ exclusive or whether they'll put on at the cinema?

Like this? Share it using the links below!