Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179790Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 8th January 2014, 09:55 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I agree with you on Time Bandits. I find it quite boring. I like the Python films, A Fish Called Wanda, Ripping Yarns and adore A Private Function, so its not that i'm averse to this quirky style of British humour. I just don't like Time Bandits....or Jabberwocky.

Jabberwocky! That's the other one that bored me! Just not what I expected.
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 8th January 2014, 09:57 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I agree with you on Time Bandits. I find it quite boring. I like the Python films, A Fish Called Wanda, Ripping Yarns and adore A Private Function, so its not that i'm averse to this quirky style of British humour. I just don't like Time Bandits....or Jabberwocky.
Quote:
Originally Posted by anythinggoes78 View Post
Watched Cabin Fever last night, i'm going to have to watch it again, i went in expecting a serious Horror which i got some of the time but the comedy elements totally threw me off, especially the Policeman and the Kung Fu Pancake kid, did laugh at the harmonica scene though me and the missus went to bed chuckling to that, but yeah was seriously WTF sometimes with it all.
I went to the pictures to see Cabin Fever as a teenager and I still love it!
Old 8th January 2014, 10:01 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArgentoFan1987 View Post

Jabberwocky! That's the other one that bored me! Just not what I expected.
Have to confess I never cared for Jabberwocky either.

Still love Time bandits though, its the sort of film Jean pierre Juenet would make if he had any discernible talent.
Old 8th January 2014, 11:00 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosferatu42 View Post
Suburbia

Attachment 127891

Watched this tonight, pretty bad copy but seems sort of appropriate for the film, remember seeing the VHS about when i was young and always fancied watching it.
I quite liked it. follows a bunch of 80's punks around, a group of disillusioned kids with nothing better to do who live in a squat in early 80's america, is on the side of the kids who are portrayed as drop outs because they have to be.
I know it's kind of one sided but the alternative 'straight' americans are all as*holes, who don't get where the kids are coming from. and i felt the ending was sort of obvious and didn't lead anywhere.
Still i enjoyed it, but you'd probably need to be appreciative of punk culture to enjoy it. if so go for it.
At least it's more realistic than 'Class of 84' .
Oh and it features flea from Red hot chili peppers if u like that sort of thing.
8/10
Ah, some decent "gig" footage, but about as realistic as the Quincy MD episode hahaha. IMO!!

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 8th January 2014, 04:58 PM
Cult Addict

I know it's not authentic realistic, just seemed more realistic in portraying the kids as drop outs who are just being delinquents out of boredom, and they also seemed to have some affection towards each other.
Rather than 'Class of 84' where the gang just seem to be portrayed as rapists and psychotic killers, haven't seen class for a while though so i may be wrong there. Still 'Class' is pretty entertaining too.
Old 8th January 2014, 05:28 PM
Cult Addict

I must be the only person who likes 'Jabberwocky', it's not amazing but i do find it quite funny in places.
Always remember the jousting scenes where everyone watching is covered in blood.
Demoncrat and keirarts like this.
Old 8th January 2014, 05:47 PM
Cult Addict

City of god.

cog.jpg

Watched this for the first time last night, heard really good things about it and i wasn't disappointed, i thought it was brilliant.
Was swept up by the story about kids in the slums of Brazil, who are forced into lives of crime out of necessity, some revel in violence and greed whereas others want to escape and better themselves.
The film shows in an incredibly powerful way how small acts of violence affect others, escalate into revenge,more and more destruction and eventually all out gang warfare in the streets.
Really good performances from what i read were mostly first time actors and brilliant, searing virtuoso camera work.
Highly recommended. 10/10

Has anyone seen the sort of sequel 'City of men' and is it worth watching?
Old 8th January 2014, 07:38 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

From 1947:
Odd Man Out - Interesting movie that has James Mason playing an Irish (freedom fighter/terrorist - take your pick)
Gentleman's Agreement - Another interesting movie directed by Elia Kazan which if you know anything about the HUAC affair in the 50's might lead you to believe that the man was a hypocrite!
Song of the Thin Man - Last in the series and almost a return to form.
13 Rue Madeleine - Not a bad wrar movie about spies.
Possessed - Kind of bored me really
Tarzan and the Huntress - More of the same.
Calendar Girl - Hmm! Didn't really like this musical
Dishonoured Lady - More boring that Possessed!
Old 8th January 2014, 09:33 PM
Cult Addict
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

SWAMP ZOMBIES. A group of college kids get lost in a swamp and are attacked by zombies! As luck would have it everyone has some martial arts training so they get to kick zombie arse in poorly choreographed fight scenes, lots of poorly choreographed fight scenes...Clocking in just shy of two hours, this zero budget film is a lot of fun if you are in a generous mood and willing to forgive the lack of acting skills on display and concentrate on the rubbish effects, bad fights and a shit load of gratuitous nudity. Apparently the original cut of the film is three hours long!

Old 9th January 2014, 07:03 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Arrow Fest continues with Frankenhooker last night and cheesy action film The Commander tonight.
trebor8273 and Rondadoronron like this.

Last edited by SShaw; 9th January 2014 at 07:49 PM.

Like this? Share it using the links below!