Moonstalker (1989)

58/100

Deadly Intruder (1985)

56/100

Mr. No Legs (1979)

62/100

Scream (1981)

25/100

Tulpa - Demon of Desire (Tulpa - Perdizioni mortali) (2012)

61/100

Mask of Murder (1985)

39/100

Torn Curtain (1966)

63/100
Old 25th July 2016, 07:43 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
Last week's viewings:
Nothing outstanding for you i see, however only one poor one so it's not too bad.

The Witch has finished horror with me for a while. I watched Castle's 13 Ghosts last night (with ghost viewers) and realized i needed a break from horror as everything pales in comparison with The Witch.
Old 25th July 2016, 07:56 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Nothing outstanding for you i see, however only one poor one so it's not too bad.
Yeah, I'm on a bit of a slasher kick at the moment - I blame the hot weather! A lot of them are pretty poor, but there's still plenty of entertainment to be found. Tulpa was a nice change of pace though to the '70s and '80s low budget nonsense. A nice blend of eroticism and gialli and I lapped up all the style over substance aesthetic. It will be one I'll probably pick up eventually.

I felt like something a little more light-hearted on Sunday so opted to re-watch Hitch's 2 hr+ long communist epic Torn Curtain.

Quote:
The Witch has finished horror with me for a while. I watched Castle's 13 Ghosts last night (with ghost viewers) and realized i needed a break from horror as everything pales in comparison with The Witch.
High praise indeed for The Witch! I may actually save my viewing of it for around Halloween as I think the mood will enhance this one even more... it seems a fair wait, although I do have a stack of stuff to watch in the meantime and want to get the new room sorted too in order to start enjoying the 'film experience' more again. I've also saved Symptoms for the same reason.
keirarts and nosferatu42 like this.
Old 25th July 2016, 08:05 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
Yeah, I'm on a bit of a slasher kick at the moment - I blame the hot weather! A lot of them are pretty poor, but there's still plenty of entertainment to be found. Tulpa was a nice change of pace though to the '70s and '80s low budget nonsense. A nice blend of eroticism and gialli and I lapped up all the style over substance aesthetic. It will be one I'll probably pick up eventually.

I felt like something a little more light-hearted on Sunday so opted to re-watch Hitch's 2 hr+ long communist epic Torn Curtain.

High praise indeed for The Witch! I may actually save my viewing of it for around Halloween as I think the mood will enhance this one even more... it seems a fair wait, although I do have a stack of stuff to watch in the meantime and want to get the new room sorted too in order to start enjoying the 'film experience' more again. I've also saved Symptoms for the same reason.
I enjoyed Tulpa too. Glad you think it's worth picking up at some point.

Torn Curtain and i didn't really get along when i watched it a few years back for the first time. I found it a bit boring to be honest.

I wish i could save The Witch for Decemberdike now. It would be perfect for Christmas Eve. Although *spoiler alert* it is set about now - early September as there is a failing corn crop shown. *Spoilers finished*
keirarts likes this.
Old 25th July 2016, 08:07 PM
Cult Acolyte

Default torn it

Torn Curtain gets a lot of stick,and its not top Hitchcock but its certainly a worth while watch,and dare I say gets better on repeated viewings,now Topaz on the other hand.
The witch,I found boring and over hyped,needless to say it will be going to CEX for exorcism.

keirarts likes this.

Old 25th July 2016, 08:16 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Torn Curtain and i didn't really get along when i watched it a few years back for the first time. I found it a bit boring to be honest.
I couldn't really get into it first time, but second time around I did take to it a lot more, although it's far from top-tier Hitch.

Quote:
I wish i could save The Witch for Decemberdike now. It would be perfect for Christmas Eve. Although *spoiler alert* it is set about now - early September as there is a failing corn crop shown. *Spoilers finished*
Yes, the time it is set was another reason why I was considering maybe watching it sooner rather than later (as well as being hyped and impatient of course!) I think autumnal October will work just as well though - not that I want to garner a reputation as being an 'October-Eye' or anything

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector Abberline View Post
Torn Curtain gets a lot of stick,and its not top Hitchcock but its certainly a worth while watch,and dare I say gets better on repeated viewings,now Topaz on the other hand.
Yeah, Topaz is pretty dull - ditto Under Capricorn. I'd also agree that Torn Curtain is definitely worth a watch even if it is a bit of a slog at times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector Abberline View Post
The witch,I found boring and over hyped,needless to say it will be going to CEX for exorcism.
Sorry to hear that you didn't rate The Witch, Inspector. Hopefully it'll be successfully CEXorcised from your personage.
Old 25th July 2016, 08:18 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Star trek into the darkness

Kirk saves Spock's life breaking the prime directive who promptly squeals to starfleet costing Kirk his command. Not long after kirk is called to starfleet command with captain like and Spock after a starfleet archive is bombed by what is belived to be a starfleet officer, at said meeting the officer attacks killing pie and a number of other starfleet personal. Kirk sets out to hunt the man responsible for his mentors death. Its not long before we find out the killer is actually Khan a genetically enhanced human and that kirk is being set up by the admiral that sent him on the mission. More action packed than thee first but borrowing heavly from wrath of khan. Its nice to see here what khan is actually capable of . 8/10

The resurrected

Based on Lovecraft's the case of Charles Dexter Ward. Don't know how accurate it is too the story but I enjoyed the film which had some goods pratical effects for the time. 6.6/10

Ghostbusters (2016)

Of course it was never going to be as good as the orginal but wasn't half bad. A lot of the jokes fall flat but when they worked they were very funny. The ending was visually stunning and had me on the edge of my seat. Was not hard to see the reshoots were used to add jokes to poke fun and internet trolls etc, was fun spotting the original cast members cameo's. Never going to be a classic but for from being a disaster. I would going and see a sequel if one was done. 6.8/10

Now watching cocoon
Old 25th July 2016, 08:29 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

HIGH RISE-Very Kubrick in it's look and execution. A Clockwork Orange sprung to mind on more than several occasions.
An interesting film which warrants a second viewing,but the least favourite of the very talented Wheately's output so far.

BAD MOON-A fecking forgotten gem of a werewolf movie!
Scream Factory's new disc is astounding in the visual and sound departments.
The director's cut is a joy to behold!

Top marks to SF!

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 25th July 2016, 08:32 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper Man@Cult Labs View Post

BAD MOON-A fecking forgotten gem of a werewolf movie!
Scream Factory's new disc is astounding in the visual and sound departments.
The director's cut is a joy to behold!

Top marks to SF!
Bad Moon is easily in my top 5 werewolf movies. I love it.

Does the directors cut differ greatly to the original version?
keirarts likes this.
Old 25th July 2016, 08:35 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
The Witch (2016)

No plot points or spoilers of any kind.

I truly cannot rate this film highly enough. Superbly performed with brilliant and authentic use of olde-English language and terrific sound design and an often lingering camera technique all come together to create the most unnerving bordering on frightening horror film i can remember seeing.

Absolutely outstanding.
I'd be hard pushed to think of a better horror film this decade!

Please get into discussion of this top notch film here......

THE WITCH 2015 Robert Eggers

It;s thoroughly deserving of in depth discussion!

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.

Like this? Share it using the links below!